Tropical Fish Keeping banner

61 - 80 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ill try and explain this added expense after all it is his fault for buying them. I hate losing fish and always try my best. Still a learner after all. Hopefully everyone lives in peace

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yeah, the fish hobby is anything but inexpensive and easy. Unfortunately with pet stores and other big corporate, they make it seem like you can just throw fish together and they'll be happy without anything in the tank :-/ Perhaps you can exchange the Paradisefish for some fake plants?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yeah, the fish hobby is anything but inexpensive and easy. Unfortunately with pet stores and other big corporate, they make it seem like you can just throw fish together and they'll be happy without anything in the tank :-/ Perhaps you can exchange the Paradisefish for some fake plants?
The petshop dont want it back. They say it could of got disease in my tank. So now my daddy say i must leave the whiteclouds in and not flash them away. There's no fighting as yet. The molly and swordtails fins isn't as open as it was and the one paradise is hiding in the tank or behind the filter and one is in the barrels. The angels are swiiming as normal.

I will test ammonia and change the water and by next week my daddy wil buy fake plants.
I don't want to lose fish please. I feel stupid to allow this to happen. The tank was so perfect

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
....that's a silly store then :-( Maybe you have some people around where you live or somewhere you can place an ad to sell/give away the fish maybe? Friends or other acquaintances?

Well, if you can't, just try to get those plants to give them as much hiding space as possible. Your tank is overstocked again now so just watch ammonia each week and do a water change as needed. You probably won't need to do twice weekly changes, but just change it at least every two weeks and an extra if ammonia is spiking. Testing for ammonia is the easiest way to find out if you need a water change :)

And don't worry, you didn't technically "allow" it to happen, dad just thought it would be good to add new fish, I don't recall you saying that you had any say in the matter. We live and we learn :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I changed the water today for the first time after adding the fish. Wil test water daily for the next two weeks to see how the tank is doing. I didn't add any salt because i searched on google and found out that angels are sensitive to salt and the cory. Is that correct? And is there anything else i need to know?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
They are but at such a low dose like that, it won't hurt them at all. Cory's are not actually "scale-less" like people are led to believe, they actually have very thick plates on them that you can actually see. True scale-less fish are loaches and eels like Bichir's. But yes, higher dosages of salt will not be that good for the cory to sit in because their natural habit is extremely soft waters of the Amazon, void of all salts, calcium, magnesium.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I didnt add any when i did the water change, can i add 1 tbsp now?

The one dalmatian molly is just sitting at the bottom of the tank. Looks like its near death.
Can i expect more casualties and my water parameters are perfect at 0ppm ammonia. Ph of 8 temp 24 degrees Celsius

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yes, if you want to :)

Likely it's not your water parameter's any more but the stress of the new fish possibly trying to dominate the old ones. Even though they may not be visibly picking on the other fish, fish do have their own system of communicating and a lot of it has to do with body language. So even if another fish approaches another, it could be in a display of dominance or rivalry. There's a lot to it, fish can also create sounds that we can't hear as well, it's amplified with their swimbladders. So all this can contribute to stress to the fishes and too much stress can sometimes equal death. Unfortunately, since you can't remove the other fish, this may happen.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It may just be trying to find a place to hide. They dig sometimes or push things around if they're light enough like gravel.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oh okay, nice! It's going to be a little while before they're nice and lush, but it's a good start :) You've planted them all correctly. You may need to use a liquid fertilizer (not sure what's available to you and what isn't) for some of them but most of the plants you have here are easy plants to deal with. Anacharis (Elodea) is in the first pic, you may see some melting of the leaves (they become transparent) but otherwise, it should grow very quickly for you. Valisneria is the tall grass plant, another good fast growing and tall plant. And the third one looks like Rotala Indica, pretty normal and easy plant. It likely won't keep that pink tone to it if your lights aren't bright enough but no worries, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the plant, it's still healthy if it's growing new green leaves. It's good to give plants some space between the stems, otherwise you end up blocking out the light to the bottom (when you eventually grow more plants from these) and that can hurt the plant. So roughly half an inch to an inch is good spacing technique. The two stem plants (Anacharis and Rotala) can be cut anywhere on the stem at any time to be propagated; you plant the top part you cut off and the former bottom part will grow out some more stems from the side if everything is working right!

The plants will help suck up nitrate as well which is a big factor in overstocked tanks ^_^ That's why people with heavily, thickly planted tanks can get away with more stocking (like my 29 that I showed you), because the plants are keeping the fish safe and the fish are in turn feeding the plants. Of course, not all plants grow as quickly to suck up ammonia and nitrate, but the ones you have should help out a little bit until you can propagate them and have more stems growing!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The owner of the pet shop said i don't need liquid fertiliser and i believe him because his a businessman. I will get some when i go. For now do i leave the tank as is and do regular water changes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Do i need to vacuum my gravel? I want to do my first water change tomorrow after getting the plants monday. Please reply asap and thank you in advance.

I also want to know if i can cut the plants that are too long and replant them?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I already answered that, you keep the bottom planted and snip off the top and plant that too.

Pet stores are only in it for the business. You kill your plants and you go back to buy more, they make money. Eventually you will need a liquid fertilizer to keep your plants healthy and growing actively. Most stores only know the basics of fish care.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Holes mean that it's either Potassium or Phosphate deficient, using a liquid fert will help remedy that and the new growth will all be very healthy. Likely it wasn't kept under proper lights at the store (or even if it was, it wasn't cared for properly) and so it's a little deficient for the time being. Part of it will likely die off if it's brown, you can clip the stem and replant the healthy part of it. Make sure you put some space between your stems and don't plant them all in a bunch; that is a way that the bottoms will brown and die off because it's not getting enough light down there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Understood, that bunch's roots were altogether so I didn't want to break it apart (thought the plant may die). I will seperate it tomorrow and cut off the bad part. Will it help?

61 - 80 of 222 Posts