Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 60 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
While doing the water change the gills appeared normal (silver colour). The two Dalmatian mollies has brown spot on one side but it could be a color variation. If any physical symptoms appear ill try to photograph it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry for double post

Since ammonia is 0ppm for a while now. And i do regular water changes and tank seems healthy. I was wondering if i can add anymore fish to my 100l tank. It seems too empty and dull.
I have 7 whiteclouds, 3 swordtails, gold molly, 2 Dalmatian mollies and 2 snails.

Im looking to give the whiteclouds back to a petshop if its allowed and only keep the rest.

If i can add any fish to the tank and not harm them i would like to get a center piece fish thats a bit different or bigger than the rest that will stand out. If possible? Would love some suggestions if it is possible.
Thank you in advance

Water condition
0ppm ammonia, ph of 8 and water at 20 degrees Celsius

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I would not add any fish until all your fish are healthy and not dying. If you do get more fish, you will want to quarantine them in some other tank for at least 2 weeks to make sure they aren't sick so your tank doesn't get sick again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
How long do i wait before i add fish again? And i only have one tank so what do i do?

The first guy i went to has healthy set up Because each tank has its own filter or two

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Just because fish can look healthy at the store, doesn't mean they don't carry parasites or bacteria still. I really do urge you to quaratine at least two weeks. You can use anything from a 5.5 or 10 gallon tank on the floor or one of those plastic storage bins works too if they're new. Don't need a heater (unless you're in cold area) or filter for a QT, just keep them separate for 2 weeks to make sure they're healthy. Unless you want to go through this whole fiasco again....

Are your current fish still looking sick? Still pale?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
They look perfectly fine and i will see how much it cost and if i can get one. But il wait a month or two before i buy the fish.
Would like to know what i can get because like you said my tank is overstock?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Do you have all male swordtail and molly? Or mixed? You do know they can inbreed with each other right? All livebearer's can but they usually have dead fry or sterile fry as a result.

According to AQadvisor, this is what your tank looks like. I didn't know what filter you had so I just put one in that's rated for 50 gallons but I'm sure you have a smaller one:

Your tank is close to being fully stocked. I would get more White Clouds, bump them up to around 12-14, a bigger school usually looks better. You can also get 6-8 Bronze/Albino Corydoras to fill out the bottom section of your tank.

Then your tank will be:

The biggest thing is, you need to make sure you have enough filtration for all those fish. Livebearers are always very poopy so if you didn't have them and had some other type of fish, you could potentially put more fish in there but that's a little too late now :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I only have male swordtails (they all have the tail) of have 3 molly's of which i don't know their gender.

I would really want to give the whiteclouds back cause the pet shop only suggested them as a start because they very hardy. Ill look at the bottom feeders and without the white clouds which "center piece" fish would work with the swordtails, mollies and corydoras (does it have to be that colours)?

[edit]
If i do return the whiteclouds how long do i wait for filtration to adjust before I add the new fish?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
According to AQadvisor, this is what your tank looks like. I didn't know what filter you had so I just put one in that's rated for 50 gallons but I'm sure you have a smaller one:
I have a DoPhin F1200 internal filter and a Boyu SF 102 but neither of the filters are there

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
If you replace the white clouds immediately then the filtration will be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
No, you may also have compatibility issues. Some fish don't like other fish who are rowdy and things like that. By increasing the fish you have in there, it can cause stress and lead to more disease which is why we normally will keep tanks at max capacity or understocked to keep the fish healthy. You can do what you want, but just know there are risks involved other than ammonia spikes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
When i got home my daddy bought 2 paradise fish and 2 Angel fish with 4 brown cory. He said he likes the fish. What should I do? My tank is now overstocked and i was think two 25% water change would do me fine

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
O.O Oh god...Paradise fish are EXTREMELY aggressive!!! Angel fish are also agressive too especially when they start to pair up. If you've got two males of either of these fish, you're going to have a bloodbath on your hands!! If you can explain this to him, that'd be great. I know parent's don't always listen to their kids and stuff but I severely suggest the return of all those fish except the cory; those are fine if you want to keep them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The plan was get 8 cory's but when i got from university i saw them. He said he bought male and female. And the only way he will listen to me is if he see it himself but i will try my best before the worst happen.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
:-( That's a shame. If they're from PetCo or PetSmart then likely they are not properly sexed. All the same, they are still extremely aggressive, I have a male at the moment myself and have seen their wrath.

Angels will eat all fish smaller than their mouth, so the larger platy and molly's are fine but fish like Neons and White Clouds (I know you said you wanted to get rid of them) will be eaten easily when they are full grown and Angels do grow quickly. Also, a pair of Angels needs a minimum tank size of 110 liters so you're close but that's the MIN size, ideally they should be housed in 125-150 liters so your other fish will actually have a possible chance of living :-( Also baby Angels cannot be sexed until they are full grown and close to breeding age, so if you end up with two males; one male will definitely die or succumb to the more aggressive male which means it will become stressed and then sick and possibly death.

I know telling you won't help much, but just so you may be better prepared for the future at least.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I will try my best and show my daddy this post. We in South africa and its a pet shop here by us. For now is there anything i can do to help? Besides begging and trying to convince my daddt they unsafe together. I will also phone the petshop and say they fighting and ask of i can bring 1 of each back

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
You can keep the two Angel's for the moment, it will still be a couple months before they're totally growing and getting feisty. The Paradise fish though, those are not compatible at all with the fish you have so try to return those quicker as they're aggressive practically from birth. Then once the Angel's get to age, you can return one or give away one and keep the other.

Do you have a lot of plants in your tank? Fake or real doesn't matter. The more plant decor you have, the better the chances of lowering fighting.

These are live plants but this is my 29 gallon tank (110 liters) which is close to your tank size. They don't have to be live but see how planted it is? I have lots of fish in there and you can't see half of them, this helps to offset fighting and sparring and gives weaker fish the chance to rest when they need to.

Bigger tank (45 gallons) again, similar idea. Not as thickly planted as my 29 but something like this is what you're looking for. Again, don't need live plants, silk plants will do just fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
They are beautiful and i wish mine look as cool. I have no plants. Maybe i can give one to my friend or are they aggressive alone?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
They're more aggressive alone unfortunately. It's either a pair or nothing, but if they aren't a mated pair then they'll pretty much ignore each other and go after the other fish.

Thanks :) I do recommend getting some nice tall silk plants if you can swing it eventually. It doesn't have to be all at once, but the Angel's will really appreciate the hiding space!

41 - 60 of 222 Posts