21 - 40 of 222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Great! Glad I could help there ^_^

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Not daily, you'd end up with a crap ton of salt if you did that. Once you add the initial dose, you only add whatever you took out. Say that you did a 20L change, you've just take out a fifth of the water content and also taken out a fifth of the salt content. Because you have 5 teaspoons total in the tank, you've essentially taken out one full teaspoon of salt with that change. So when you add back in those 20L, then you also add a teaspoon of salt to it. It can be a little annoying and tedious to keep it at that level, but it's worth it if you just pay attention :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I started today so ill add tomorrow when i change the water. The molly's gills look swollen and pink and one whitecloud are swimming at an angle

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Swimming at an angle

Some whiteclouds are swiming off center. 2 Dalmatian molly are at the bottom of the tank (for 3 days now). And the rest appear normal.

Ammonia 0-0.1... (the colour of the test water is a little darker than 0ppm but not as dark as 0.25ppm)
Ph 8
Temp 20 degrees Celsius

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
They could just be affected poorly from what happened before. Some fish will also swim according to where the light is coming from; livebearers are known for doing this, Endler's in specific; sun means up so they swim with their tops facing towards it wherever it is. Could be something like that that they're doing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just found out last night that the two Dalmatian mollies died. Does this mean my nitrogen cycle will have to start over because there's too much good bacteria? How long will it take for my tank to be fully cycled?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Not at all, the bacteria will just reduce with the numbers. Sorry about your fish though :-( Have you been doing your regular weekly water changes? If not, I suggest you do some deep cleaning in that tank with a gravel siphon; get as much as you can out of that gravel. That will help reduce Ich cysts if there are any left over; there shouldn't be but it can be sneaky sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Okay, how many inches of substrate do you hve? Is it just gravel? Mixture of something? If it's just gravel, you should be digging all the way into that to get what falls on bottom. Likely you're missing some stuff down there!

Even though your Ammonia may show zero, there are many other things that won't show up that can adversely affect your fish. One of them is TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) this includes ions, minerals, salts and metals. All can harm fish. So if you aren't doing a gravel cleaning deeply, then these can build up without you knowing and can stress out your fish which leads to disease of course.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mostly 3 cm some areas at the back 4 cm (sorry for the different unit of measure). I have gravel only And next water change i will go all the way.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I don't mind, I can convert just as easy ^_^ And sounds good. Definitely let me know if it helps to do that. Hopefully!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Will do so tomorrow when I do water change. Their gills lok swollen and itnis white or pinkish red. Should I be worried?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It could be a sign of gill flukes possibly :-/ nasty critters. If you don't QT new fish or inverts, they can sneak in quite easily.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
QT is quarantine; to keep separate to make sure that those fish are not ill from the store. It's a pretty important process to keeping a tank healthy.

And Gill Flukes is a parasitic disease, they live in the gill of the fish and make them red, sore, and swollen normally. If you can find PraziPro (Praziquantel), you can use that to treat them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The first lot of fish that die was from a shop that wasn't as clean but i really wanted black mollies. And should I deal with it right now? Is it deadly?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It normally is deadly. Can you get some clear pictures of the fish? That will help. You can cup the fish for the pictures if they won't stay still/come up to get a picture. It may not be Gill Flukes, I just said it was a possibility.

21 - 40 of 222 Posts