Tropical Fish Keeping banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Can ve 3 months but the light itself is not intensive and i will start dosing twice a week and get a new bulb soon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Got the aqua-glo t8 20w and it's rated 18000 K. The lfs said that's not accurate and its more like 8000 K. He also suggested 8 to 10 hours light periods and 2 Chinese algae eaters. Before making hasty decisions i want to ask you if what he said is correct and is it safe to get the fish?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
8,000K is going to get you a lot of algae so just be aware of that. Stick to 6 hour period for now and increase if you need to. You can also split up the time if you like too, say 3 hours in the morning and 3 at night or whatever you want.

Chinese Algae Eaters are absolutely terrible, they don't actually eat algae and will kill your fish as they age. They're very good at sucking the slime coat off your fish! Instead, if you absolutely need an algae eater, go with Otocinclus. They're sensitive so you need to absolutely make sure that your water parameters (ammonia and whatnot) are perfect or close to perfect; do you water changes weekly and all that jazz. Otherwise, they'll just die. They also only eat soft algae's like green and brown (diatom) algae. So yeah, don't get the CAE's, they also get too big for your tank.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
8,000K is going to get you a lot of algae so just be aware of that. Stick to 6 hour period for now and increase if you need to. You can also split up the time if you like too, say 3 hours in the morning and 3 at night or whatever you want.

Chinese Algae Eaters are absolutely terrible, they don't actually eat algae and will kill your fish as they age. They're very good at sucking the slime coat off your fish! Instead, if you absolutely need an algae eater, go with Otocinclus. They're sensitive so you need to absolutely make sure that your water parameters (ammonia and whatnot) are perfect or close to perfect; do you water changes weekly and all that jazz. Otherwise, they'll just die. They also only eat soft algae's like green and brown (diatom) algae. So yeah, don't get the CAE's, they also get too big for your tank.
I would like to add no fish as i would like to have 30 to 40 guppies. Ill start with a spilt up 6 hour light period as there are already bits of green algae by the substrate.
Can strong lighting cause green water or hair-like algea? Im worried about this 18000K Kelvin rating

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oh yes, there are many types of algae. Green Water, Green Spot, Soft Green, Hair algae, Black Beard algae, Cyanobacteria (Blue-Green Algae), staghorn algae, and so many more. The more light you have and the more nutrients are in the water and the longer the light is on, the more algae you get. The way you combat this is to have fast growing plants like Water Wisteria and floater plants like Dwarf Water Lettuce or Salvinia Minima. Or, to dose an Algalcide like SeaChem's Excel or Accu-clear will get rid of green water. Manual removal is really the biggest thing, sucks, but that's what you have to do to keep plants. I do it too.

You can get a Nerite snail if you have them around, they're fantastic at cleaning soft algae's like Diatoms and soft green algae too. One will clean a 10 (20 liter) gallon in just a day or two! So for your 100 liter, you could keep 3-4 and they'd be pretty happy in there :) Don't get Apple (Spixi snails) snail, they eat plants! Mystery snails are okay but they prefer to eat prepared foods like cucumber, zucchini, or algae wafers versus eating actual algae.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I have none of that plants and had to throw out one of my species cause all the leaves were covered in hairy algea. I put my rotala indica under the current of my filter and the Val i pluck when it get hairy algea or black spots.
My anubias are developing like white spots (3cm diameter) but it looks healthy and i get new roots and 2 new leaves.
I forgot to turn off the light today and it was on for 9 hours would that have a negative effect on the tank?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Won't have a negative effect but may fuel algae is all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Nerite snails are banned in our country and alot of other imported snails. What else can i do? With the 8 hours of daylight and 2 weeks of fertiliser. I see little algae on substrate. I'm just worried about my slow growing plants and some other plants i want to get in a later stage

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
What snails do you have available then?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
The only snail i ever saw (at multiple fish stores i visit) is the mystery snail and i don't want it again. They got out of their shells..

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Uhhh yeah, Mysteries don't do that lol, must have been something else then? Mysteries are only out of their shells if they've been pulled out and killed by a fish. Otherwise, no snail actually does that, I wonder what it is that you saw?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Uhhh yeah, Mysteries don't do that lol, must have been something else then? Mysteries are only out of their shells if they've been pulled out and killed by a fish. Otherwise, no snail actually does that, I wonder what it is that you saw?
Probably got killed. I just got empty shells. I had aggressive fish at the time. So i can buy 2 mysteries? Won't they eat my plants and do they eat algae?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Ah, I see, yeah, that's probably just it then. :)

Yes, two Mysteries is fine. Mysteries won't eat plants, they will eat dead plant matter so they may cruise along your plants and you'll see them munching but don't worry, I gaurantee that they aren't eating plants, they eat the microfilm and algae on top as well as the dead particles! They do eat the soft algaes (there really isn't anything that eats hard algae anyway) but they will need supplements time to time. Your fish will love you if you throw in some blanched cucumber or zucchini time to time! Not all fish should eat this (for example, betta's or Gouramis) but livebearers and tetras and cories are mostly omnivores so they eat everything ^_^ fresh veggies are good for them! They may not find the cucumber the first time so don't worry about that, just take it out after a day and try again later. Try to put it in a similar spot each time so that they know where to find it :-D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Ah, I see, yeah, that's probably just it then. :)

Yes, two Mysteries is fine. Mysteries won't eat plants, they will eat dead plant matter so they may cruise along your plants and you'll see them munching but don't worry, I gaurantee that they aren't eating plants, they eat the microfilm and algae on top as well as the dead particles! They do eat the soft algaes (there really isn't anything that eats hard algae anyway) but they will need supplements time to time. Your fish will love you if you throw in some blanched cucumber or zucchini time to time! Not all fish should eat this (for example, betta's or Gouramis) but livebearers and tetras and cories are mostly omnivores so they eat everything ^_^ fresh veggies are good for them! They may not find the cucumber the first time so don't worry about that, just take it out after a day and try again later. Try to put it in a similar spot each time so that they know where to find it :-D
Cucumber and fresh veggies we buy for us???? And yes they know where their feeding spot are. As soon as i open the lid they come to the corner where I feed them

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yes! Just a slice, you don't need a whole heck of a lot. And I mean because the cucumber will sink if you blanch it (partially cook it but let it cool before serving) or you can weight it down with a rock or fork. That way, the snails will know where to go for feeding when you feed the veggies.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Okay thank you. Ill try feeding veggies after i get the snails. How often do they need veggies? And do i cook it up first? (all the vegetable i will feed them)? Can it be any veggies? Are there any tips or precaution?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Blanch the veggies, that means to put into a container with water, cover halfway and microwave for about a minute. Water will be very hot, let cool for abut 15 minutes or about 10 if you take it out of water and toss water out. If you can do it once a week then that's good, twice a week if you don't have much algae for them.

Most veggies, stick to solid ones like Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Cucumber, lettuce, etc. Stay away from watery ones like tomatoes.

Did you just put some in? As I mentioned before, they might not find it the first day at all, you need to let them find it first and that might take a couple tries. If cucumber slice is getting kind of gross before 24 hours, just take it out and toss. Try again another day, keep putting it in the same spot or near the same spot. It's going to take more than just an hour for them to find it, be patient.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Yeah. After about hour and half. Everyone were munching on it. Will try again once i get snails but my guppy loved it.

201 - 220 of 222 Posts