Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im relatively new to fish keeping and didn't want to join forums because I have nothing to offer.
The reason why i choose to join is because i think my blackmolly has ick due to white spots on/near his fin.

I have an 100 liter freshwater tank with:
9 whiteclouds
5 neon tetra
5 glowlight tetra
1 black molly
4 Dalmatian mollies
3 gold dust mollies
4 swordtails
4 snails.

I do weekly water change. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and ph of 5
Water temperature is between 18 and 20 degrees Celsius.

I have photo's of the black molly but dont know how to post it

Thank you in advance and please move post if it's in the wrong place

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
To post a picture you can go to "Go Advanced" and click the paperclip icon in the tool box area. It will bring a pop-up window where you can browse for your picture and upload it.

First off, your tank is WAY overstocked! According to AqAdvisor.com, your tank is 177% stocked! Also, Tetra's need warmer water around 24-26*C, the white clouds and mollies are fine in cooler waters. I suggest removing the Tetra's since that will be the easiest fix. If you do that, at least your tank will go down to 161% stocked which is better at least but still a lot of fish for that small of a tank.

Likely what happened is your fish is stressed out from too much fish and became sick with Ich. It's pretty common. If you can find it (I got mine from Wal-Mart) Quick Cure is fantastic, Malachite Green is very effective and quick. If not, try pretty much any Ich med from your petstores.

And no worries about supposedly having nothing to offer :) Forums work both ways! We exist to help and be helped so don't fool yourself! These sites are a wealth of information and we are all privy to it whether we lurk, post, or help ^_^ Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here is another treatment and it will not harm your fish, any of them. Over a 24 hour period slowly raise the temp to 82 f. Ick hates heat. Also, put one tbs of aquarium or solar salt in the tank to begin raising the temp. 12 hours later put in another tbs salt and after 48 hours add a 1/2 tbs of salt. Allow the tank to run like that for a total of five days and the ick will be gone. Ick has to drop off the fish to replicate and it falls to the bottom where salt levels are toxic to it.

Once treatment is complete, slowly lower your temp to normal. When you do your water change add another 1/4 tbs salt and repeat the process for 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, find a new home for the tetras.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It doesn't really look like Ich to me, looks more like natural coloring. Is it raised from the skin or more flat like?

And just because someone else does something, doesn't make it right for you to do it. To be a good fish keeper, you need to watch what's good for the fish, not what you want to happen. I don't mean to be harsh, but there is a responsible way to be keeping these fish, if kept inadequately for a long period of time; you end up with disease outbreaks (like Ich and others) and a couple of them will probably die as well. Obviously, we all have to start somewhere with our learning so just keep that in mind for the future.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some areas were raised this morning. I will try my best to get another tank but i highly doubt it cause I'm only a student.

I had 40 fish in it. One black molly developed white spots (thought it was neutral and so it died). Two died due to swimming under filter and one swordtail died suddenly

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I understand, I'm a college student myself.

You don't need to get another tank if you can't afford it, you may be able to surrender some fish to a local store or PetCo if you've got one. Some will take fish and other's wont so you can call ahead to ask if you want.

And are you sure they died because of the filter? Filters are designed specifically for our fish, not to kill them :-/ if you found them stuck to the filter then likely they died before hand, could be due to excessive ammonia when you first started it up again or something. You know about the Nitrogen Cycle, right?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yip. My water parameters were perfect. 1 small white cloud were stuck at the back of the filter (between the glass and filter) and the black molly were swiming underneath the filter wen i moved the filter down it was just floating.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lost 5 neon tetras and glowlight

After using ich medication for 2 weeks the black molly died. I changed the water immediately and got a test kit..
Sunday night 4 neon tetras disappeared. The monday after college i opened my filter to find it in there.
I changed 50% water and cleaned the filter. And 20% today
Today i tested the ammonia and it was 0.91 ppm and ph was 8. I just lost a glowlight and one swordtail is hovering at the bottom of the tank.

What else can I do?
Help me asap!!! I dont like losing fish :(
Thanks in advance

[sorry for double post]

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Do as many water changes as necessary to get that ammonia down asap. How many fish do you have left? And are they still showing signs of Ich?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No ich signs. I do 20L water change everyday. I have 8 whiteclouds, 3 sword tails, 4 glowlight tetras, 4 Dalmatian mollies, 1 normal gold molly
1 dalmatian is rising to the top (i think it has swim bladder.)
2 swordtails and another dalmatian is just siting at the bottom.
On the scale ammonia is between 0 and 0.25ppm (according the colour)

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Do you have well water or municipal (city) water? pH is always at or around 8? Do you by chance know your GH(Hardness) and KH(Alkalinity)? Do you add salt to the water normally? If so, how much do you use per gallon?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have well water or municipal (city) water? pH is always at or around 8? Do you by chance know your GH(Hardness) and KH(Alkalinity)? Do you add salt to the water normally? If so, how much do you use per gallon?
City water than i use conditioner. Ph was 8 today also. I only know the ammonia (which were 0ppm today) and ph. I don't add salt anymore. Only used it when i treated the tank for ich.

The fish look better today. Gained a bit colour, everyone swiming around except one Dalmatian molly that rise to the top

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Alright, I suggest you use some salt for preventative measures in your tank to help the mollies; they'll appreciate the use of salt. It's not the same thing as making a tank brackish for them, but it will help improve gill function and other organ functions. You can use 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. Now when you use this level, you'll have to watch what you take out with water changes if you want to keep that level because then you have to add back in what you took out. Always dissolve salt before hand as well.

But having that salt in the tank all the time can help keep disease away, help keep fish less stressed and as I mentioned, help improve organ function as well which means they can fight off diseases as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5 gallons =18.927liters...
Can i divide 100l by 19l? And i used to put the salt in the net and let it dissolve in the tank. Is that okay?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
You'll be using 5.2 teaspoons, so just 5 teaspoons is fine to use. And yes, the net method is fine to use since it's fairly slow dissolving.

I also forgot I was going to mention that it may help the fish stop dying as well. It's not a cure, but it still may help them hopefully. Just make sure you change you water weekly to keep ammonia down since you still have a lot of fish for that tank, it may not seem like there are a lot of bodies in there, but mollies and swordtails are biiiiggg poopers and so the more poop they have, the bigger the bioload which means more ammonia can harm them if the cycle isn't up for the job.

Because you just had some fish die off, there are too many Beneficial Bacteria in your filter. Their colony grows to compensate for all the fish you have in there, when that bioload goes down then there isn't as much food for the BB to eat and so some of the BB will die off. This can cause a mini-cycle which means you may see ammonia in the next week or so while the BB catch up and reorganize themselves to maintain the proper amount for the fish you have in there now. Does that make sense to you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because you just had some fish die off, there are too many Beneficial Bacteria in your filter. Their colony grows to compensate for all the fish you have in there, when that bioload goes down then there isn't as much food for the BB to eat and so some of the BB will die off. This can cause a mini-cycle which means you may see ammonia in the next week or so while the BB catch up and reorganize themselves to maintain the proper amount for the fish you have in there now. Does that make sense to you?
Soort of. I was thinking of change the water when ever ammonia isn't 0ppm. Is too many beneficial bacteria a bad thing considering an overstock tank?
If more die will ammonia appear again?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Okay, I'm going to go with a really weird hypothetical analogy right now, bear with me lol.

Picture this: there are four dogs and four bowls of food, just enough for each of them. Dogs represent the Bacteria here and the food is your fish. Now when some of your fish die, a food bowl disappears. Because there is only enough for each dog, they cannot share and so one dog also has to die because he is not fed. It doesn't happen right away usually but for the aquarium, it's usually within a week. So now we're left with three bowls of food and three dogs, the amount is always the same ratio. So now picture someone giving back the fourth bowl, a dog will eventually find it and now there are four dogs again. The bacteria in your filter and tank will grow to fit the needs of your fish but it doesn't happen right away.

Again, sorry for the strange analogy but it's what I could think of lol. Make more sense now? Your bacteria only grow to protect the fish you have in the tank, take away some fish and the extra bacteria die off which can cause an ammonia spike and a mini-cycle while the bacteria scramble around to figure out who's eating who's ammonia. And then when you add new fish, it takes time for the bacteria to multiply again to cover all the fish.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts