Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Well blood worms are a type of mosquito larva, I'm not sure exactly what kind. But if you just leave a large container of pond water out side, you will eventually get native mosquito larva. These are white/clear in color. Usually sold frozen as white mosquito larva.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What about where I live there is a really big scare about westnile virus being transferd through mosquitos wouldnt there be a posiblility of it passing on to the fish if they were fed a bad mosquito?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bloodworms are the larva of not mosquitos, but midges. You should be able to set up a outdoor (fishless) pond and get some.

·
Banned
12,153 Posts
I found some info in my betta book on how to grow bloodworms. Fill a wading pool or barrel with water and add twigs and dead leaves. Within weeks, surfaces will have thousands of thin, brown capsules containing individual bloodworms. Scrape them off and shake to release the bloodworms.You can wash them first or feed to your fish, mud and all. It wouldn't be a good idea to handle them if you are allergic to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts