Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello mods,
Would one of you be willing to make a bioload sticky? Something like this would really help me and I'm sure other freshwater aquarium owners in stocking a tank. Like; it would list a TON of different kind of common aquarium fish, and it would say if they have heavy bioload or light bioload. Also; I'm familiar with the "cubic inch per gallon" rule; If someone (maybe, dare I say it, someone who ISN'T a mod) said how many gallons should be "given" to a certain fish. I know I'm asking for a lot, but if one of you would make something like that, all of us would benefit! Thanks!

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
A good suggestion, but not easy to accommodate. Like the old "inch per gallon" rule, there is no simple formula. The bioload of a particular fish is not a constant, as several factors affect this. Obviously, the mature size would be taken as the given, but a fish's impact on the tank's biology depends upon factors such as the overall tank size, the number of fish (of the given species), the number of other fish and their specific species and temperaments, how much the fish is fed daily, and so forth.

With respect to the gallons per fish, this is another almost impossible thing to set out since again other factors play into it. However, in our fish profiles, it does provide the minimum tank size to keep the species healthy, along with the numbers of fish of that species where this is relevant. And the suggestions about other fish that are or are not compatible is another part of the bioload issue.

Have a look at our fish profiles, there is a wealth of information in them. They are presently being moved into the new Reference Area, and when that is done, I hope to go through some of them for revisions as I have spotted a few that need this.

Byron.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Hey, if I can't get the cold hard facts, then the next best thing is knowing where to get the cold hard facts!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
google aquavisor, once you input your tank specs, it give a pretty good bioload estimate :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts