Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Penguin 150 filter system in my 20 tank.
I noticed over the last week or so the bio wheel was slowing down and would stop from time to time. Over the weekend, it stopped rotating completely.
1. Is this an issue?
2. How do I keep it moving?

I cleaned the entire filter housing, the notches for the bio wheel and where it sits. I replaced the cartridge filter also and still no movement.

when I spin it by hand, it seems to be lopsided and heavy on one side.

Is there a correction I can make to fix this? I don't want to get a new bio wheel since I've only had the tank 3 months and cycling a tank with 10 fish will not be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
sounds like it will need to be replaced

I noticed over the last week or so the bio wheel was slowing down and would stop from time to time. Over the weekend, it stopped rotating completely.
1. Is this an issue?

I cleaned the entire filter housing, the notches for the bio wheel and where it sits. I replaced the cartridge filter also and still no movement.

Is there a correction I can make to fix this? I don't want to get a new bio wheel since I've only had the tank 3 months and cycling a tank with 10 fish will not be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
I'd replace the wheel, or see if you can take it apart and clean it without killing the bacteria. Did it have a warranty?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should have one. I will have to talk to my LFS where I got it from.

Any ideas how to keep the bacteria while I get another bio wheel so the cycle is shorter?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It should have one. I will have to talk to my LFS where I got it from.

Any ideas how to keep the bacteria while I get another bio wheel so the cycle is shorter?
If you can drop it in the tank in a corner, the bacteria should be ok. Then leave it until the new media is populated.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The wheel is supposed to slow down over time, but it shouldn’t stop all together. Check the wheel seats - make sure they are properly greased. There’s no need to buy new wheels - they last a really, really long time. Another thing you can do is swish the wheel around in the tank water to dislodge any solids stuck to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Is this an issue?

Thanks in advance!
At times, "gunk", for lack of a better word, will build-up on the handles or cradle where the bio-wheel sits. I would recommend using a tooth brush to clean-off any debris on the handles and cradle. Another recommendation would be to check your filter cartridge. The filter media may be full with debris, diminishing the flow of water through the return, and may just need to be replaced with a fresh filter cartridge.

Regards,

Phil

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
At times, "gunk", for lack of a better word, will build-up on the handles or cradle where the bio-wheel sits. I would recommend using a tooth brush to clean-off any debris on the handles and cradle. Another recommendation would be to check your filter cartridge. The filter media may be full with debris, diminishing the flow of water through the return, and may just need to be replaced with a fresh filter cartridge.

Regards,

Phil

Good advise, except for the last part. A complete replacement of the filter cartridge will loose a vast majority of beneficial bacteria. Instead, washing in old tank water or dechlorinated water will restore flow rate and not loose a lot of bacteria. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good advise, except for the last part. A complete replacement of the filter cartridge will loose a vast majority of beneficial bacteria. Instead, washing in old tank water or dechlorinated water will restore flow rate and not loose a lot of bacteria. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks, for clarification, I meant possibly replacing the carbon filter material if it needed to be replaced, and was restricting water flow within the filter. The bio-wheel media itself should never be washed / cleaned for the beneficial reasons previously mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts