Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this betta for maybe 3-4 years now. I kept him in a betta bowl for most his life unfortunately. He was always healthy and made frequent bubble nests. After moving him to a 5 gallon with perfect parameters and weekly water changes he got sick. His bones poked out of his back fins and I quarantined him and have extra treatment. His was slow at the time and stayed in one spot. Ever since he healed he’s been very active and healthy.

Fast forward to today, maybe a month since he’s healed and in one day he went from perfect to this terrible color.

Water temperatures - ideal range
Parameters - perfect
Tank size - 10 Gallon
Tank mates - small school of guppies and a golden mystery snail
Water changes occur weekly

What is this? How can I fix it? How does it happen?
Aircraft Hat Wing Aviation Wood

Hat Fish Wing Sun hat Cg artwork

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say from those photos to be honest. There's a lot that can factor in when it comes to Bettas. They are prone to bacterial problems. Bettas start getting long in the tooth around 3-4 years and usually around year 5 they pass away. Be happy yours made it this far.
Thanks. I’d like to add that this happened over like a night or two . Is that common?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're talking about this discoloration on the body and fins I can see what you're talking about. Was he solid blue before this happened?
Yeah he was rehomed maybe two months ago. Once he was rehomed as I said he became sluggish and bones were poking out. No loss of color tho. After special treatment he went back to normal. He was fine for a month. I thought I would’ve lost him when he was sick but he recovered and Was fine for a month. Now suddenly this happened. Solid blue to this

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah he was rehomed maybe two months ago. Once he was rehomed as I said he became sluggish and bones were poking out. No loss of color tho. After special treatment he went back to normal. He was fine for a month. I thought I would’ve lost him when he was sick but he recovered and Was fine for a month. Now suddenly this happened. Solid blue to this
It could be old age but to me it looks like bacterial problem. What do you wish to do? Treat him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be old age but to me it looks like bacterial problem. What do you wish to do? Treat him?
Everything is good except the bones on his front fins are sticking out and there are parts of his back fins that are see-through and other parts that are purple. I wouldn't think the purple is bad if it wasn't surrounding the transparent parts

I don’t think it’s bacterial because I have been keeping that water clean with extra water changes for about a month now

·
Registered
351 Posts
Everything is good except the bones on his front fins are sticking out and there are parts of his back fins that are see-through and other parts that are purple. I wouldn't think the purple is bad if it wasn't surrounding the transparent parts

I don’t think it’s bacterial because I have been keeping that water clean with extra water changes for about a month now
Well obviously there's something going on in your tank that has caused this to happen, something that your not mentioning or not aware of. Bettas just don't get hurt/sick for no reason. Hope you find the help your looking for though, good luck.
🙏

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sometimes Bettas get themselves stuck on the intake of a HOB or on the intake of a canister filter, he may have injured himself somehow over night. Anyways, just food for thought.

🙏

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
64 Posts
I’ve had this betta for maybe 3-4 years now. I kept him in a betta bowl for most his life unfortunately. He was always healthy and made frequent bubble nests. After moving him to a 5 gallon with perfect parameters and weekly water changes he got sick. His bones poked out of his back fins and I quarantined him and have extra treatment. His was slow at the time and stayed in one spot. Ever since he healed he’s been very active and healthy.

Fast forward to today, maybe a month since he’s healed and in one day he went from perfect to this terrible color.

Water temperatures - ideal range
Parameters - perfect
Tank size - 10 Gallon
Tank mates - small school of guppies and a golden mystery snail
Water changes occur weekly

What is this? How can I fix it? How does it happen?
OK I have a few questions to see if I might be able to deduce what might be going on -

You stated you moved him from a betta bowl to a 5 gallon , yet in your descriptors you say it's a 10 gallon tank ; in which tank did he originally get ill in and which tank did he get ill in the second time?

Which tank is he in now? Are the filters / filtration the same from tank to tank or new filtration? Were the tanks properly cycled?

Assuming he was alone in the betta bowl , Did he have the guppy tank mates in the 5 gallon? or only in the 10 gallon?

Are the guppies ill? Were the guppies nipping at the betta?

My $.02 Bettas are not a community fish and the stress that can come with forcing them into a community tank is enough to make them ill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts