Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unsure whether pregnancy has happened to a male betta fish before (my mom claims that males produce spawn as well), I decided to leave it to the pros.

Is this Dropsy? I've read that you can tell with the scales or something. My parents ridiculously think that HE'S pregnant. Only females can get pregnant (right?). And the pet store said it was male.

But if it's dropsy, how can I cure it? He tends to stay near the bottom, he always eats what I give him : ( TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets, Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, Big Al's Bloodworms Freeze-dried), I give him either 1 of the floating mini pellets and 2 of the Hikari or I give him 2 of the floating mini pellets and 1 of the Hikari, for the bloodworms, I just give him 2. I feed him all of these things in the morning and evening, in the afternoon I give him 2 bloodworms, he likes to hang around the plastic plant in the bowl.
His 1 gallon bowl consists of :
2 ceramic frogs
1 plastic plant
3 shells
Turquoise Plastic Rocks (the thingies you put at the bottom and they stay at the bottom and don't float up)
And I clean and change the water in the bowl every month. The water is tap water and I use Tetra BettaSafe to condition the water. I use 7 drops as instructed on the bottle.

I know I can be changing the water and cleaning his bowl more often, but my dad said once a month is fine. I have a busy schedule most of the time but if you have any ideas on when a busy person can clean and change the water, please let me know.

Below are pictures of my fish. Any questions? Just post them below and I'll answer them as soon as possible. If you need any additional information, post them below and I shall answer them. Please help me! Any recommended products? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I got him in the summer, June/July-ish.

He's a black Betta with yellow fins. I picked him because he was different from all the other red, blue and purple ones. He's just gorgeous. His name is Boo or Basey. In Russian it's Бycя.

Just thought maybe you would want this information. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Uhm, sorry, kinda new to this, the pet store didn't say anything about water temperatures or a water tester..?

And since I'm not familiar with these "fishy" terms, what does it mean to 25% water changes 2X a week?

Explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Well, so far he's alive. He hasn't been eating in the morning when I get up for school (7:30-ish) I thought maybe he was sleeping. He eats in the afternoon when I give him his 2 bloodworms (he loves his bloodworms >.<) and in the evening 3 balls of his normal fish feed and 2 bloodworms.
So he's eating fine, he tends to sleep a lot during early morning and evening (and I guess between that time period as well), are betta fish like that? I wouldn't know ^_^.
Thanks for all your help and support. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Feeding Schedule. Bubble nest?

Okay. Phew. Now that I know it's not a disease, should I expect a bubble nest anytime soon? How will I recognize the eggs? Will she eat them before I can put them into another tank? Eep, this is giving me the pregnancy jitters.

I told my mom about getting a 5 gallon bowl and filter, she hasn't said anything yet. I'm going to wait until we drive by a petstore and suggest going in to buy it. Until then, I shall clean it every Monday. Thanks for the suggestions.

New Feeding Schedule (I shall wait for someone to say this is a good schedule before I begin with it) Any changes or modifications to this schedule are fine and EXTREMELY encouraged. All food will be fed in afternoons (unless you disagree of course)

Mondays - 3 feed balls
Tuesdays - Nothing / or 1 blood worm
Wednesdays - 3 feed balls
Thursdays - Nothing / or 1 blood worm
Fridays - 3 feed balls
Saturdays - Nothing / or 1 blood worm
Sundays - 2 feedballs?

Please make any changes possible for my fish to be okay. Whatever meets your satisfaction meets mine. =)
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks A Bunch

Okay now I know. I'm not going to bring in anymore Betta Fish until I'm a little older. So I guess I'm just going to leave her with the eggs until she "absorbs" them. I'm really excited about getting a bunch of fish and breeding them when I'm older, it sounds like so much fun! Good luck with all your fish and thank you so much for all the support and information. Oh and by the way, there is an 'egg spot' on her belly (below).
Thanks a lot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.