Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to rescue a betta fish but all I have is a 29 gallon tank, is that too big for him? I have plenty of plants such as swords and frogbit for him to stay near the surface, will that help? And if I do end up keeping a betta, what would be a good schooling fish to keep with him? I heard harlequin Rasboras are good. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is never a too big tank for a fish. I think you should get neon tetras or Harleyquin rasboras. I would do a school of twelve of one of those kinds and get some netrite snails or mystery snails.
Good luck :)
PerfectSatyr683

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh that is fantastic! Yes, as the post says above do about a dozen of one of those. I have Nerite snails and Amano Shrimp with my Betta in a 20 long breeder. Everybody is happy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really want to rescue a betta fish but all I have is a 29 gallon tank, is that too big for him? I have plenty of plants such as swords and frogbit for him to stay near the surface, will that help? And if I do end up keeping a betta, what would be a good schooling fish to keep with him? I heard harlequin Rasboras are good. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Betta do not normally do well in large community tanks. They are slow moving fish and pretty much any other fish may target a betta and nip at their fins. A large tank may be overwhelming for it as well. Bettas do well in small tanks of three or four gallons Where they can establish their territory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Betta do not normally do well in large community tanks. They are slow moving fish and pretty much any other fish may target a betta and nip at their fins. A large tank may be overwhelming for it as well. Bettas do well in small tanks of three or four gallons Where they can establish their territory.
Neon Tetra & Harlequin Rasboras are not known fin nippers. These are good choices, Betta thrive in just about any size aquarium, 3 or 4 gallons is too small and will create jumping. Very hard to keep water perimeters and temperature in something that small. 5 Gallon minimum. I've been a Betta keeper for years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Neon Tetra & Harlequin Rasboras are not known fin nippers. These are good choices, Betta thrive in just about any size aquarium, 3 or 4 gallons is too small and will create jumping. Very hard to keep water perimeters and temperature in something that small. 5 Gallon minimum. I've been a Betta keeper for years.
Any fish will jump if given a reason. It’s a given that you cover the tank.
As I said, I have had experience breeding and keeping bettas going back to the 1970’s, (a total of 48 years as of this year). I stand by my comments. Three to four gallons is a perfect size for a betta. Anything much larger will create stress For a betta — It will survive in a larger tank but will not thrive and itis lifespan will be shorter. Good water quality can be maintained in a Nano tank, you need to be diligent. There are also aquarium heaters that are produced just for small tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts