Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have recently had multiple beta fish die from some strange fungus/sickness. They have grown fuzzy and then died. This one is a little different, but I’m assuming died from the same thing. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
96 Posts
1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
I’m sorry I should have clarified that I work for a pet store. We have never had this problem before and I’m sure whatever is wrong with these fish is coming from the distributor. However we would like to try to treat them to stop them from dying. They stay in their containers, but we do routine water changes with fresh water. I will re test the water next time I’m at work. They’re fed a couple pellets 2x a day. They will start to become slightly discolored, slowly become paralyzed, and then die.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I’m sorry I should have clarified that I work for a pet store. We have never had this problem before and I’m sure whatever is wrong with these fish is coming from the distributor. However we would like to try to treat them to stop them from dying. They stay in their containers, but we do routine water changes with fresh water. I will re test the water next time I’m at work. They’re fed a couple pellets 2x a day. They will start to become slightly discolored, slowly become paralyzed, and then die.

You guys need to find a new distributer straight up. We would cull and not waste any time guessing what kind of pathogen they are infected with. That's a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
96 Posts
So yes , chances are that they are coming from the distro already ill , from the image it appears to me to be some type of fungal infection. You could try any number of treatments (one product only per directions) when you do the water changes.
a few products that treat Fungal , Parasitic and Bacterial which are for when the actual illness is unknown:
Hikari Betta Revive
Seachem ParaGuard
Seachem PolyGuard

Seachem Kanaplex is a Fungal and Bacterial product

If you determine that it is definitely a fungal issue a Maracyn Oxy product is a true fungal medication.
I would also make sure someone in management knows about the issues and takes it up with the distributor(s)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I only say cull and move on because you are part of a business. Do you really have the time and money to spend on treating all of them? I understand you want to save what you have left, but guessing a unknown pathogen from a distributor and treating isn't sensible from a business standpoint. You have to turn and burn and move on. Of course this is just my individual opinion but I've been through it. Are you sure they are sick when they come in? Or are they getting sick after they've been in your hands? This is a important question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So yes , chances are that they are coming from the distro already ill , from the image it appears to me to be some type of fungal infection. You could try any number of treatments (one product only per directions) when you do the water changes.
a few products that treat Fungal , Parasitic and Bacterial which are for when the actual illness is unknown:
Hikari Betta Revive
Seachem ParaGuard
Seachem PolyGuard

Seachem Kanaplex is a Fungal and Bacterial product

If you determine that it is definitely a fungal issue a Maracyn Oxy product is a true fungal medication.
I would also make sure someone in management knows about the issues and takes it up with the distributor(s)
Ok, thank you. Yes we have already taken it up with the distributor and management has fixed things from a business side. Now it’s really just the employees who work in live trying to help the fish who aren’t obviously sick yet from dying. Thank you for all your recommendations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only say cull and move on because you are part of a business. Do you really have the time and money to spend on treating all of them? I understand you want to save what you have left, but guessing a unknown pathogen from a distributor and treating isn't sensible from a business standpoint. You have to turn and burn and move on. Of course this is just my individual opinion but I've been through it. Are you sure they are sick when they come in? Or are they getting sick after they've been in your hands? This is a important question.
Ok, thank you. Yes we have already taken it up with the distributor and management has fixed things from a business side. Now it’s really just the employees who work in live trying to help the fish who aren’t obviously sick yet from dying. We’re sure that they are coming sick since one or two arrived dead/with symptoms.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, thank you. Yes we have already taken it up with the distributor and management has fixed things from a business side. Now it’s really just the employees who work in live trying to help the fish who aren’t obviously sick yet from dying. We’re sure that they are coming sick since one or two arrived dead/with symptoms.

Okay, best of luck for the future.
Let us know the outcome please if you can.
🙏

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@bigsisterto3 We used to quarantine everything we received for at least two weeks sometimes longer. We treated them with the trio API's General Cure and E.M. Erythromycin and of course IchX. Do you guys quarantine?
Ok, we may try that. We do quarantine but as far as I know we don’t treat them with anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts