Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new here but I've recently gotten back into keeping fish and I have some questions about one of my tanks. I have a pretty female betta who I had been keeping in a friendly community tank. Shes been doing just fine, no signs of aggression. When I first bought her she was probably still considered a juvenile. Shes doubled in size in the past month, and her belly swelled up so I figured shed reached maturity. So I moved her into a separate 10 gallon, heavily planted. I added a young male and another young female. Initially she seemed friendly with the new female and very interested in the male who I left in a breeder net for a couple hours to allow for introductions. Once I released the male into the tank, I was concerned he might become aggressive so I've been watching them pretty close. So far it seems my original female, Ursula, has become the dominant aggressor to both of the other betta. Could that be just because of size? Ursula is about double the size of the new female, Ariel, but just a little bit bigger than the male, prince charming. She seems to be chasing the male on and off in a more mating type fashion, and sometimes he reciprocates but sometimes he shies away from her. The first few hours they appeared to be doing the typical mating dance where the male swims in a cupping motion below the female. That stopped after the first couple hours and they all went about their own business exploring the tank. Ursula flares her beard a lot now, at both the other female and the male. I can't tell what shes doing. She not overly aggressive with either of them, I haven't seen any fin nipping from anyone. But I'm not sure how this dynamic is going to play out. She still seems to be showing some mating signs with the male, but occasionally shows similar behavior to the other female? Any ideas on what they're doing? I had hoped the 2 female to 1 male ratio would give the girls a break from a fussy male, but it seems ursula has been the fussy one. I will try to take pictures but the tank is not very conducive to it, being heavily planted and lower lit. Also the water is still a little murky from the loaches stirring up the sand. 馃槢 could the water being foggy add to their strange behavior? I fed them this morning and Ursula knows me and my feeding habits so she acted normal, but the other two were very timid about it. The male has been hiding behind the filter and has yet to eat anything that I've seen.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
The male when I was still at the store. Twintail half moon.
Ursula is the blue crown tail.
Sweet baby Ariel there is a veiltail.
I know the back lighting is awful for detail but maybe at least you can see a size comparison.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The "chasing" seems to be more of a follow you around and give dirty looks. Would the two females feel the need to compete for the attention of the male?
I added a picture of the entire tank for reference on the environment, it looks empty Haha but honestly theres a lot going on in there. Everybody just hides a lot. They enjoy the plant cover.
Not sure if you can see her in the pics with the male, but Ursula was pursuing him at the time.. thats usually when he moves the most, to run away from her. He seems to hide in the corner by the filter an awful lot. Where as both females move about the entire tank.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts