Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Our little Betta (Half Moon) has been having some issues staying afloat the last week and not only struggled to eat but now physically can not (he doesn't even acknowledge the food at this point). Originally he was having "aiming" issues grabbing his fish food (NorthFin Betta Bits), a few days later he started trying to take the fish food into his mouth but spat it out, and now refuses to even try. He's getting pale, super lethargic, and is also getting very skinny as he hasn't eaten in over a week. There are no signs of Dropsy (no raised scales, not bloated) and his gills, while protruded, are a normal black color however he is breathing heavily.

We were suggested to try other food to make sure it wasn't specific to his regular feed so we also tried Fluval Bug Bites (tropical formula), Fluval Bug Bites (betta formula), Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. He was not been interested in any of these 5 foods.

We were also suggested to treat for bacterial and viral infections so we have given him API's MelaFix as well as Fish Aid's Antibiotics (Amoxicillin). Neither have seemed to change anything yet. He's been on MelaFix for about a week and Amoxicillin for just less than a week.

Some details: Fluval Spec 2 tank (all to himself), filtered, heated (79 degrees roughly), regular water changes (1+ times a week), regular Prime, Flourish Excel, and Stability dosing (all Seachem). He is fed up to 6 pellets of his main food and occasionally a treat from the others (or blood worms, etc) before all this started.

We do have clove oil and are prepared to put him to sleep if need be, but we really don't want to if we can save him. That being said, I don't know how long is too long with him possibly suffering.

Can anyone help me understand if I should wait longer, do something else, or put him to sleep at this point?

Thank you so much

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon,

Our little Betta (Half Moon) has been having some issues staying afloat the last week and not only struggled to eat but now physically can not (he doesn't even acknowledge the food at this point). Originally he was having "aiming" issues grabbing his fish food (NorthFin Betta Bits), a few days later he started trying to take the fish food into his mouth but spat it out, and now refuses to even try. He's getting pale, super lethargic, and is also getting very skinny as he hasn't eaten in over a week. There are no signs of Dropsy (no raised scales, not bloated) and his gills, while protruded, are a normal black color however he is breathing heavily.

We were suggested to try other food to make sure it wasn't specific to his regular feed so we also tried Fluval Bug Bites (tropical formula), Fluval Bug Bites (betta formula), Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. He was not been interested in any of these 5 foods.

We were also suggested to treat for bacterial and viral infections so we have given him API's MelaFix as well as Fish Aid's Antibiotics (Amoxicillin). Neither have seemed to change anything yet. He's been on MelaFix for about a week and Amoxicillin for just less than a week.

Some details: Fluval Spec 2 tank (all to himself), filtered, heated (79 degrees roughly), regular water changes (1+ times a week), regular Prime, Flourish Excel, and Stability dosing (all Seachem). He is fed up to 6 pellets of his main food and occasionally a treat from the others (or blood worms, etc) before all this started.

We do have clove oil and are prepared to put him to sleep if need be, but we really don't want to if we can save him. That being said, I don't know how long is too long with him possibly suffering.

Can anyone help me understand if I should wait longer, do something else, or put him to sleep at this point?

Thank you so much
I’m not sure about Bettas but it sounds like parasites. See if you can find a syringe small enough to fit in it’s mouth. Purchase Seachem Metroplex, Kanaplex and Focus. A little garlic oil for fish will help. Purchase frozen brine shrimp and thaw out about a tbls. Try and drain some of the water out of the shrimp. You will have to force feed your betta if it won’t eat on its own. Follow the directions on the packages and mix them together. Metroplex is for worms, Kanaplex is for bacteria infections and Focus makes the drugs bind to the brine shrimp. The garlic improves the flavor. Try and force feed a little 3 times a day. You don’t have to change any water because the meds are in the food. I have saved a lot of African cichlids, tetras, parrot fish this way and it only takes a couple of days for your betta to start eating on his own.
Good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts