Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what this bump/lump is on my bettas head. It's just above the opening of the gills. She is herself. Eats, sleeps and flares with her neighbor normally. What could it be?
Plant Gesture Pink Magenta Petal

Plant Wheel Photograph Tire Botany

Plant Green Pollinator Nature Insect

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm wondering what this bump/lump is on my bettas head. It's just above the opening of the gills. She is herself. Eats, sleeps and flares with her neighbor normally. What could it be? View attachment 845024
View attachment 845026
View attachment 845025
I'll be honest and straight forward..that's some type of growth, I don't know what kind. Growths can be fatal, but I don't know if this is a type that causes that. How long has this been going on for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be honest and straight forward..that's some type of growth, I don't know what kind. Growths can be fatal, but I don't know if this is a type that causes that. How long has this been going on for?
I noticed it yesterday, and it's the same today. Doesn't seem to bother it much... keeping an eye on if it grows in size

·
Registered
351 Posts
I noticed it yesterday, and it's the same today. Doesn't seem to bother it much... keeping an eye on if it grows in size
okay keep us updated. May I ask though, has he been in a filtered and heated tank? What's his situation? What's the water parameters? All this info can help diagnose the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Canister filter and heated to 80 degrees everyday for the last 6 months. Water parameters all normal, duckweek on the surface and nerite snails in the tank for algae. It's a 10 gallon divided to share with another betta, so she has 5 gallons to herself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks. I wasn't sure if I should worry or not. I had a goldfish die of dropsy months ago and don't want anything sneaking up on me. It's my daughter's betta and she may be pretty bummed if she died. This is one of 4 tanks that I have, and I feed excess duckweed from this tank to my goldfish. Wish me luck. Hopefully this passes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well thanks. I wasn't sure if I should worry or not. I had a goldfish die of dropsy months ago and don't want anything sneaking up on me. It's my daughter's betta and she may be pretty bummed if she died. This is one of 4 tanks that I have, and I feed excess duckweed from this tank to my goldfish. Wish me luck. Hopefully this passes.
I understand.
Prayers sent 🙏

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here us my betta, her name is Rosy. I noticed a bump on her head several days ago. She is still her normal self and the lump seems the same.
Ingredient Recipe Amber Cuisine Dish
the bump is on her right side.
Fin Underwater Wood Fish Water
you can't even tell it's there in this picture
Toy Fish Fawn Tail Snout
great front shot

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quick question you mentioned a tank mate? Completely unrelated to your original post however, betas are incredibly solitary fish and when kept with other fish they can and will kill their neighbors. Although it does depend on the beta, male bettas which it seems you have, is much more aggressive. They can cause self harm in trying to hurt the other fish or creature in general. Might I ask what kind of animal he is with?
Now back to your original post.
that’s most likely a tumor. Tumors can be tiny and barely noticeable, or they can be huge. Tumors covering large areas of the fish’s body can cause problems with buoyancy and affect the fish’s ability to swim.
Some bettas are predisposed to developing cancerous tumors, just like some people do. That’s the most common cause of this condition.
However, there are a few causes of tumors in a previously healthy betta. These include a poor diet, unsanitary water, and viral infections. The last one may be introduced into the tank when new specimens are added to the environment.
it’s more likely to be an ulcer or an abscess, both of which can look like tumors at first glance.
Although the lump on your beta doesn’t seem to fit any of the descriptions of the two better options. Keep an ion him, if the edges of the bump become red it’s most likely a ulcer and if it becomes an open sore it’s most likely an abscess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts