Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10G that I have set up for some RCS. They should be here within the next few days. Tank is cycled etc. I have 2 corys and 1 male crowntail betta. Will the betta eat the shrimp?? LOL

Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is no way to tell if your betta will bother the shrimp or not. I've had females completely ignore shrimp. I've had males and females tear shrimp apart. (It's hard to forget the sight of a female swimming around half a shrimp that is still alive and flailing in their mouth).

I like to call it a crap shoot whether or not the betta will eat the shrimp or not. Just make sure you don't mind potentially having to clean up shrimpy bits from the bottom of a tank. It's not pretty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, it's totally dependent on the betta's personality. I've heard of bettas never touching a hair on a shrimp or snail's head, and bettas that will kill on sight any living intruder. And I've heard of bettas that were fine with their tank buddies for months and then one day just decided to bite their heads off.

I suggest you include a whole bunch of java moss and tiny hiding areas (cholla wood would be good) in the tank to up the odds of shrimp survival. And maybe breed them before you put them in with the betta if you want to keep owning RCS :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 10G that I have set up for some RCS. They should be here within the next few days. Tank is cycled etc. I have 2 corys and 1 male crowntail betta. Will the betta eat the shrimp?? LOL

Steve
It all depe on if there’s a lot of plants or not. And the Betta itself. My Betta does perfectly fine with shrimp, but I also have a lot of plants. I have never seen my betta try and eat a shrimp, but the shrimp are scared of the betta, and run away whenever their close. But other then that my beta and shrimp get along fine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts