Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m new to the fish world I’ve been recently getting fish learning how to handle and I just got a beta fish today in a 1.5 gallon and I was wondering can you put a fish tank frog with him?

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
38 Posts
The frog and fish will probably be OK together, as long as the frog isn't big enough to try to eat the fish, but this is not ideal for either species. Male Bettas are very territorial and usually just do better alone. The frog, presumably an African Dwarf Frog, will probably both outgrow the tank AND get large enough to try to eat the fish, so this would be a very temporary setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello I’m new to the fish world I’ve been recently getting fish learning how to handle and I just got a beta fish today in a 1.5 gallon and I was wondering can you put a fish tank frog with him?
Did you do it? If not my guess would be the betta might just attack him as they are territorial and tend to attack intruders. In a bigger tank with hiding places, it would probably be ok because the frog would be one of many targets and could get away and hide. There are many fishes that will pick on bettas too. I have a 40-gallon long tank, a five-gallon tank, and a three-gallon clear plastic tub which is an aquaponic tank with terrestrial plants growing out of the fish water, The roots dangle all through the tub and it has a planter hanging on top with clay pellets in it in which I grow avocados, ornamental sweet potatoes, wondering jews, and more. All of my tanks are tied together with 1" plastic tubing causeways through which my betta loves to swim from tank to tank. Bettas are very smart fish where as many fish swim through the causeways unwittingly the bettas seem to understand the passageways. Of all of my tanks though, he prefers the shallow tub with all of its roots. I think it most closely resembles the betta's natural habitat which is shallow swampy marshes and rice paddies in South East Asia. In a 1 gallon tank in my opinion your betta would be better of alone. Do you have any other aquariums? If you want him to have tank mates try a bigger tank. I see 10-gallon and 5-gallon tanks quite frequently at second-hand junk stores for $4.00 or $5.00 dollars and sometimes with lots of things like equipment and gravel included. Then you can run a tube to your one-gallon to connect them. The trick is to have the tops of each tank on the same level so that there is no overflow. If the small tank is below the other tank it will keep siphoning and overflow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts