Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I ran across this article basically saying that having tanks/aquariums can have a tremendous well being potential not only mentally but physically too. It's been on my mind for a while to get into fish keeping so I think this was the last signed I needed. So far in my research I've concluded that I have a good environment for tropical fish so now I'm looking for the best tropical fish for total newbies, do you guys have any recommendations?

Please let me know. Thanks!

-Erin

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
430 Posts
I would recommend a 5+ gallon tank with a single betta fish or maybe 1-2 snails with the betta fish. It's good to start small and they are pretty hardy. Ignore any information that says they only need .5 gallons or whatever because it's false. They are extremely aggressive with most other fish, especially there own kind which is why pet stores have to put them in tiny cups for separation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Danios are great starter fish. There are a few types and most are pretty bullet proof and great for beginners. Pearl danios and zebra danios are very hardy fish. Many people use them in a new tank to get things started before adding other fish as they are very forgiving of the new tank conditions. Although danios do prefer a slightly cooler temperature to most tropical fish, but they can happily live in mid to late 70s. The good old guppy is a great starter fish too, although inbreeding over the decades has led to a lot of genetically weak specimens becoming available. If going the guppies route, I'd spend a little more to get some really good guppies to give yourself the best chance of success.

Best of luck with it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would recommend a 5+ gallon tank with a single betta fish or maybe 1-2 snails with the betta fish. It's good to start small and they are pretty hardy. Ignore any information that says they only need .5 gallons or whatever because it's false. They are extremely aggressive with most other fish, especially there own kind which is why pet stores have to put them in tiny cups for separation.
thanks, you know, this sounds so similar to when I adopted my gerbils: the pet stores are all like "oh sure you can have these pair of cute gerbils in this tinny cage" after I did my research I got to know that not only are they better in glass or acrylic tanks and not metal wire cages, but also, they need a LOT OF SPACE!!! A pair of gerbils should have a min of 20 gal or so, and I had mine in a 40 gal thanks for all their 4 yrs, they were happy.

So okay, at least I know this is kind of a trend of petstores just not being reliable with info, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
430 Posts
Omg the same thing happened to me. I am going to get some guinea pigs soon, and I have already done all the research, but I wanted to ask a local pet store if they sell cnc grids/ coroplast. I still cannot believe what they told me! the lady said "guinea pigs don't need much space they are just rodents. I recommend you buy this tiny tale cage." Seriously, its not even big enough for a BABY mouse let alone 2 adult guinea pigs.
Product Automotive lighting Bag Luggage and bags Rectangle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Omg the same thing happened to me. I am going to get some guinea pigs soon, and I have already done all the research, but I wanted to ask a local pet store if they sell cnc grids/ coroplast. I still cannot believe what they told me! the lady said "guinea pigs don't need much space they are just rodents. I recommend you buy this tiny tale cage." Seriously, its not even big enough for a BABY mouse let alone 2 adult guinea pigs. View attachment 844802
OMG that is just CRIMINAL!!!
Yeah I hate it that for starters, pet stores are still allowed to sell animals, because they don't care AT ALL about their animals and then, they don't even provide reliable information.
If you have an instagram account, I recommend you to look for rodents or guinea pig pages. I follow this awesome artist that makes rodent illustrations and thanks to her I have gotten connected to all kinds of rodent pages with lots of info, there are huge communities of rodent enthusiast and they DO CARE about their little ones.

Good luck with this piggies, I adore rodents, but now I thought on getting to know some new species :) that's why I'm researching on fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Omg the same thing happened to me. I am going to get some guinea pigs soon, and I have already done all the research, but I wanted to ask a local pet store if they sell cnc grids/ coroplast. I still cannot believe what they told me! the lady said "guinea pigs don't need much space they are just rodents. I recommend you buy this tiny tale cage." Seriously, its not even big enough for a BABY mouse let alone 2 adult guinea pigs. View attachment 844802
Who ever told you this should be fired. I wouldn't even want to use that cage for a mouse... it's surprising how many stores don't care... and here I am at my store talking just about everyone out of pets cause they have misconceptions about space or needs. It makes it hard for those of us in petstores that try to educate potential owners when other stores contradict good information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts