Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard raving reviews about RootMedic and not so great reviews about Seachem... I know there are many other brands out there-- I'm planting Amazon Swords in my tank [they'll be in sand] so I want to have good root tabs.

I understand that RootMedic has recently been temporarily closed... does anyone have any other suggestions? API root tabs seem to cloud water...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I have the same thing about API root tablets and have never used them.
I have also heard alot of good info on Root Medic though have never used them.
I personally use Seachems Root tablets and have had good results in doing so. I have used them with Amazon swords along with Flourish Comprehensive and they grow like crazy.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I use the same as Boredomb with really great results.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I am fond of "Osmocote Potshot's". Found them at lawn and garden store and have been using them for nearly two year's now.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I use the seachem ones, nothing bad has ever happened from their use and all my plants are growing fine so I can't say I've had a negative experience with them.

They are also the only ones I've seen in stores in my area so, not a lot of options anyways unless I order online. But... why fix what isn't broke? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've use the api ones and I saw the reviews about cloudy water, but did not experience it. I Also use flourish tabs. Both seem fine to me.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I also use Flourish Tabs, and I know my swords benefit because I have the same sword species in different tanks and was able to experiment a bit. But this is not to say other brands might not also be good.

API does seem to cause troubles though, according to what more than one member has posted in the past. Especially if they are disturbed, they can cloud the water with quite a mess. I have dug up Flourish tabs a few weeks after inserting them, and they are smaller but still solid, so this problem does not occur with them.

A few years ago I had terrific results with Nutrafin Plant-Gro sticks. But I have not been able to find these anywhere online, so perhaps they no longer make them. They still make the liquid, but the sticks for the substrate were something else.

Byron.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also use Seachem Root Tabs with Flourish Comprehensive with great results. I also used to add Flourish Excel until I got my Jungle Val. No problems for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! One more question!

In your experience, which works better with plants? Flourish Excel or Flourish Comprehensive?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Last I read, Rootmedic was, hopefully only temporarily, shut down due to some employee issues.
I like the Flourish tabs. Easy to find locally and not too bad to buy in larger quantities on-line.

I have used Rootmedic and they work well, but in my white sand tank, the small "pellets" tend to accumulate on the surface when I uproot plants and re-scape. I've also had minor problems storing the Rootmedic tablets in my moist workshop over long periods of time - they tend to melt together. I still like them, just would buy fewer at one time.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Thanks everyone! One more question!

In your experience, which works better with plants? Flourish Excel or Flourish Comprehensive?
Two totally different items. Flourish comp is a fertilizer. Flourish Excel is glutaraldehyde, about a 1.8% solution. It's a chemical carbon supplement, NOT a fertilizer. You want to use Flourish comp.
I make my own Glut solution and it grows plants up to 4x normal, dosed daily in a fish tank. It works well. Honestly though, pressurized CO2 gives much better results (up to 200x increased growth rates(!) - without the dangers of working with Glut. Glutaraldehyde is a pretty nasty respiratory and skin irritant. It's actually an agent used to chemically disinfect equipment.

For more background, plants need nutrients (the flourish comprehensive and root tabs), light, and a carbon source to grow. Excel increases biologically available carbon. Pressurized CO2 also increases the carbon availability. That being said, you do not need to use either one, plants will grow well, just more slowly (normally).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two totally different items. Flourish comp is a fertilizer. Flourish Excel is glutaraldehyde, about a 1.8% solution. It's a chemical carbon supplement, NOT a fertilizer. You want to use Flourish comp.
I make my own Glut solution and it grows plants up to 4x normal, dosed daily in a fish tank. It works well. Honestly though, pressurized CO2 gives much better results (up to 200x increased growth rates(!) - without the dangers of working with Glut. Glutaraldehyde is a pretty nasty respiratory and skin irritant. It's actually an agent used to chemically disinfect equipment.

For more background, plants need nutrients (the flourish comprehensive and root tabs), light, and a carbon source to grow. Excel increases biologically available carbon. Pressurized CO2 also increases the carbon availability. That being said, you do not need to use either one, plants will grow well, just more slowly (normally).
Oh ok, got it. Thanks for explaining it and helping out this newbie haha. I'll do some more research on my own.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'd skip the Excel personally. As DKRST said it's a rather nasty chemical ... and while yes it helps some plants grow (it will also kill other plants) it is not something I would use with fish in the tank.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Agree. And there is plenty of natural CO2 occurring in a fish tank sufficient to balance the light and nutrients.

Flourish Comprehensive is a good complete fertilizer, I use it as do many others here.

You might want to check out my 4-part series stickied at the head of this section entitled "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium" that will put all this in perspective.

Byron.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh ok, thanks everyone!

@Byron, I definitely will!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use Seachem tabs under and around my Vals, Crypts and Swords and have been very happy with the obvious favorable results.

Have also heard wonderful feedback on the Rootmedic tabs.

I do believe that Rootmedic and Oscomote Plus are very similiar in terms of ingredients - very, very similiar.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the same thing about API root tablets and have never used them.
I have also heard alot of good info on Root Medic though have never used them.
I personally use Seachems Root tablets and have had good results in doing so. I have used them with Amazon swords along with Flourish Comprehensive and they grow like crazy.
+1

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't use anything and my plants seem do to well.

(my .02)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use the seachem ones, nothing bad has ever happened from their use and all my plants are growing fine so I can't say I've had a negative experience with them.

They are also the only ones I've seen in stores in my area so, not a lot of options anyways unless I order online. But... why fix what isn't broke? :)
youre lucky cuz no where around here carries any root tabs lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts