Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I use a magnum 350 on my 72gal, I reason I like it is because when the media cart. gets dirty it can be cleaned by soaking it in 1 part bleach and 3 parts water and it can be used for years.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
It would depend what you are using it for. I have mine on a reef system to remove all the depris in the tank. I never have carbon in mine just the media filter and it works really well. I guess it would all depend on what you use it for though. :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
Can you place bio-balls or some tipe of biological media in the empty space between the filter sleeve and the filter housing?Cause to me it looks like a lot of emty space.What does the water polishing mode do?

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Bio-balls can actually work against you buy keeping nitrates high. For the water polishing mode it keeps the water clear if you keep up with the maintence of the filter itself. :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Yes, Zeb. Marine keepers use sump for their tanks. Sump can be used to quietly acclimatize a new fish besides maintaining the tank clean. Another plus is that they provide shelter for animals that are easily preyed on by some fish.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
On my new 120 gal I am using a 30gal sump. I use my magnum just to get all the debris that floats around in the water that it. Then for the biological I have an emparior 400, my live rock, live sand and algae(caulerpa) in the sump.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Zeb, as we have mentioned sumps can be used in both freshwater and saltwater.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well zeb_nz sure mabey i could use a sump, but i am only going to have a 30 gallon tank. shaving a sump would not be the best setup for my case.
usmc if i am not going to have a sump with live rock(but i do plan on having live rock in the main tank)what would be the best filltration for me?Is the magnum 350 with biowheel unuff for my tank, or is there something else that would suit me better?

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
That would be good. This filter will cycle your tank about 10x hour. The cart. thats in the picture is what I use now to remove floating depris in the main tank. For you I would use the carbon canister Till your tank is nice and cycled. If you have anymore questions on it you can PM me. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts