Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have no experience with live aquatic plants, but I currently have a flounder and Tuesday I am getting an axolotl. Out of curiosity, I figured I would investigate and see if there are any benefits to possibly adding live plants to my tank? It stays at a steady 70 degrees and has black sand substrate. Both of my babies are carnivores, so it's not like it would be a snack or any of that. What would be the benefits of adding live plants, or should I just leave the fake ones in? Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
IMO, live has the benefit of improving water quality- they help remove things like ammonia, but mostly nitrates - abd help oxygenate the water. Plus it looks nicer than plastic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
IMO, live has the benefit of improving water quality- they help remove things like ammonia, but mostly nitrates - abd help oxygenate the water. Plus it looks nicer than plastic.

I don’t think any of that is an opinion.....

Don’t get zucked! Stand up to censorship! Someone else’s voice silenced today, yours tomorrow.....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I don’t think any of that is an opinion.....

Don’t get zucked! Stand up to censorship! Someone else’s voice silenced today, yours tomorrow.....
Well... some people dont like plants. Water quality can also be improved with good filtration and regular partial waterchanges. Oxygen can be increased by the use of surface agiation. Hence IMO.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I don’t like plants, but I can’t deny their benefits

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
However, I’ll certainly argue against the NEED for plants because as you mentioned there’s more than one way to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts