Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 60 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
She'll also have better lighting than my tank. Bekah aren't you looking at a dual tube T8? Those extra 3 inches plus some higher lights wouldn't be too much of a difference.
True, but Bekah really loves floaters. I think Jes just has a single T8 on her tank. She says it's not ideal though.

I'm just loathe to suggest a bunch of stems since I don't want them dying and wsting Bekah's money. if it's my money I have no problem experimenting and if a plant dies oh well. It'll probably be possible to keep them, but I have no experience with lighting a 55 for plants. I can suggest things like wisteria and Hygrophila 'tiger' that I think will work, but still feel bad because I don't know 100%. The crypts, moss, anubias, ferns I know for sure will. If any of that babbling makes sense.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
that makes sense.

i'm kind of thinking about ditching the floaters, or most of them at least, but i haven't decided since I know gourami will like them. of course i might change my mind 112390 more times by then. for now i'm not interested in doing tons of floaters.

·
Registered
828 Posts
single T8, you mean a single bulb? Deff not enough.
I have the Lights of America and 2 T8s on my tank. Plenty enough for the low light plants and okay for the moderate lighting plants.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
single T8, you mean a single bulb? Deff not enough.
I have the Lights of America and 2 T8s on my tank. Plenty enough for the low light plants and okay for the moderate lighting plants.
Please be sure to let Chesh know then that she doesn't have enough light. You also need more light on a 75 vs a 55 to compensate for the 6 inches of extra width.

·
Registered
828 Posts
that makes sense.

i'm kind of thinking about ditching the floaters, or most of them at least, but i haven't decided since I know gourami will like them. of course i might change my mind 112390 more times by then. for now i'm not interested in doing tons of floaters.
I still have the floaters you sent me LONG ago. What's it been....a year now?
My gouramis and angels love them. Nibbling at the roots n all. They produce so quickly that the fish can't keep up xD

·
Registered
828 Posts
Please be sure to let Chesh know then that she doesn't have enough light. You also need more light on a 75 vs a 55 to compensate for the 6 inches of extra width.
I am confused. Chesh? or Jes? I am unaware of what lighting Chesh has(if she has any).

If you're just lighting the tank for the fish, amount of lighting won't be too much of a problem. As long as there is a definite difference between night/day for the fish.
Otherwise, if you're attempting plants, lighting requirements need to be met(obviously)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am confused. Chesh? or Jes? I am unaware of what lighting Chesh has(if she has any).

If you're just lighting the tank for the fish, amount of lighting won't be too much of a problem. As long as there is a definite difference between night/day for the fish.
Otherwise, if you're attempting plants, lighting requirements need to be met(obviously)
Chesh is Jes. I used her as an example. So you can't say it "definitely" wouldn't work - she has it working (with plants!) for over a year!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I don't think you're an idiot. i think you're extremely intelligent, and that's why I asked you particularly for advice Cory. you're one of the people with the most plant experience on this forum that I can think of, and your opinion is the one I'm going to listen to on the plant matter (no offense to anyone else). i greatly appreciate the tips you've given me in this thread and elsewhere, and respect your experience immensely.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I'm hopeful, too!!! *hugs*

My ears were burning this morning, came on to see who was talking about me! ^.^ Took me all day to catch up - you've been busy, girly! Sorry I've been absent - been busy here, too! But I'm suuuuper excited for you, and for your $15 steal! I hope you get it all together soon! Can't wait to see how you manage things in there! I love my 55, is a great size for a tank!

Yeah, on lighting, everyone is right, lol.

My tank manages with a single T8 across the length, has done for over a year. You've seen it, I think? Been a while since my last update, but if anything its gotten to be even more of a jungle in there, and I've sent many plants out to new homes from Becoming since setup. . . But it would be much better off with two T8s - and that's for low lighting, can't speak for much aside from the plants that I've grown, personally.

Right now I have several types of Crypts, Anubias, mosses, and Java ferns doing just fine - and that's under floaters, even. My swords have refused to die, thus far, though some types do better than others. Stems, forget it - unless they're left floating.

I was planning on upgrading to at least dual T8's, and would most likely have gone with simple strip lights from home depot, lights are too expensive!!! But decided to focus on a bigger tank instead! I'm using, very literally, the lights I had laying around in my basement at the time, lol. So much expense goes into setting up a tank, though. So if you have to wait a bit before upgrading lights, you can - just be careful which plants you put in at start up, so you don't lose any until you upgrade! ^.^

Your stocking list scares me! O.O You're way braver than I am, girl! I'm always the paranoid one, though. lol. Sometimes life has a way of knocking me to the ground, and I can barely keep myself afloat (pun intended) I like to keep my stocking levels lower, gives me a little bit of breathing room, and a little less to worry about - cuz' goodness knows, I have enough to worry about already! I never slack on maintenance, but still. . . when my tank goes funny, my heart goes funny, too. . . I don't deal well with it, and know this now - so prefer to keep stock on the light side. I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you!

First. . . NEED MOAR SILICONE!!!! *giggle*

Good luck with the next round, Bek!!! I'm lurking, but around - can't wait to see how this all comes out in the end! *hugs*

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
thanks!! i tried again with silicone, if this doesn't work, i'm scraping everything and getting something stronger. Marie recommended doing something like sc1200 then aquarium silicone over it. i might go that route if i have to (unless other people have ideas?"

·
Registered
828 Posts
silicone doesn't stick well to silicone. that's why you remove all the previous silicone.
not sure if that's what you did for the 2nd try.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
wish i lived near you..i'd take you straight to the store and get a bottle !!

41 - 60 of 473 Posts