Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halo I am new to fish keeping I don't have fish yet , today I bought myself a few things to get started , but not the tank , heater , gravel , decorations or fish yet ,because that would be my late christmas gift .
I am going to get a 100L tank with natural gravel . this is what I have to ask help with : what decorations would be nice and what fish should I place in the tank to have a bright tank with lots of movement and breeding , I am thinking of live bearers and also egg laying fish . and if someone in Bloemfontein could help me with fish at lower prices than the pet shops that would be awesome . And if not what pet shop in Bloemfontein is the best to get my fish from .

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and warm welcome.
live bearers sound like a nice idea,plenty of colour to be had.
decoration comes in whatever your heart desires really,
wood,rock,plants,caves,man made constructions,even your own creations !

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'll make some suggestions and take what you like and trash the rest. First, get a few flat garden stones from a local plant nursery. Use these to make some contrast, rock structures on the bottom. How many and the design is up to you. If you plan to use real or live plants, a few small flower pots on their side make great caves and can be disgusied by plants. I use a lot of drift wood, it is not cheap and likely must be ordered on line.

If you're going to use live plants decide if you want rooted plants, floating or moss. I use floating and moss as they are very easy to keep.

Fish, for the top level, 6-8 Endlers Livebearers will provide color and breeding. If allowed to breed you should have 18-20 in three months. Least Killies are tiny livebearers and would be a nice addition as well. I use both of thesetypes of fish as live food sources for many other fish. Next a pair of pigmy gouramis such as sparkeling or licorice. You can go with more than one pair they have great contrasting color and are not aggressive.

Mid-tank, a nice school of penguin tetras 6-8, a small school of barbs either cherry or gold say 4-6. That keeps up the mid-water section. You can mix regulor cherry barbs and albinos.

For the bottom, go with corys any type 4-6. 4-6 Khuli loaches.

You have a lot of ways to go, so post suggestions and go from there. Also, buy your fish on-line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx I already have build some structures for the fish and I have filled it up with water so that the pumps could start to work , I already Have 4 guppies in my brothers tank and also he said he would give me some of his mollies , you say I should buy my fish online , but what site could I use for that . I will post pics of my tank soon , because my phone is gone , but I would take pics on another camera .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts