Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My sister's boyfriend's sister's (I know it's complicated) mollies had some babies, and my sister, being the vegan fish owner she is, wanted to try raising them. This means that I get some mollies!

I had a betta fish a couple years ago, but that's about the extent of my experience with keeping fish. What are some tips/important things I should know if I want to take good care of these fish?

My sister has something like 33 fry, but obviously I would only take 4 or 5. What would be the ideal tank size? I think I have a 10 or 15 gallon tank in the garage, but I could buy a larger size if necessary. I believe they are common mollies, but they are still too small for me to identify.

I would love to get them a tank mate, if i have a large enough tank. What are some good tank mates for mollies? Maybe a bottom feeder that won't get too big?

Also I would LOVE to have live plants, because I love taking care of plants. What are some tips on keeping them alive/good plant species for mollies? (I heard they can destroy plant sometimes?)

And anything else I should know.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have raised mollies using the procedures in my signature with live plants.

With no live plants I did have a white fungus problem with was treated with aquarium salt.

I also use mollys in full saltwater marine tanks as cycle fish as well.

my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had Mollies on and off for years I raised mine in a twenty gallon tank with the parents. They just ate algae and fallen flake food and they hid in the plastic plants. I would recommend 5 Cory catfish for bottom feeders, if you have a 15 gallon or Otos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts