Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be starting my first freshwater fish tank, 20 gallon high. I’m trying to do my research so I can have the best and most comfortable home for my fish, though I find I’m getting quite a bit of conflicting information on tank mates. My questions are, first, would honey Gourami’s, Cardinal Tetras, say a little pleco, and maybe another kind of schooling fish be acceptable together? And my biggest question is, how do I start this tank? Do I chose one type of fish to initially put in wait a few weeks, and then slowly continue adding the other kinds of fish? And how do I decide which one to add in first?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there! I'm actually working on starting a 25 gal now though I do know that having a high aquarium limits your stocking options a little. So far on your stocking list, they are all peaceful and would work together. A few issues I see is that the honey gourami's can get a little aggressive if mating so I would stick to either a group of females or one male. (This was just true for me but I don't know generally if it's different) I think adding a second schooling fish might be overstocking your tank so I would just go with the ones you have before waiting and seeing if you could add anymore (perhaps a month or so). Just so you know the honeys will stick more towards the top of the tank because they have a labyrinth organ, much like bettas, and need air to breath. As for starting your tank, first you'll want to add the substrate and deco, then add like half as much water. If your going for a planted tank, then would be the time to plant them. Fill the tank all the way and you'll want to get the nitrogen cycle started (adding ammonia each day until the nitrites and ammonia are at 0 and the nitrates are there) and then you can start adding fish. I'm sorry if I'm giving a huge explanation I just wanted to cover everything in case you didn't know. I'd add the tetras and pleco first, then the honeys after a week once the tank is more established. (This is my personal opinion so I can't speak for everyone) Anyway, I hope this helps some!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello there! I'm actually working on starting a 25 gal now though I do know that having a high aquarium limits your stocking options a little. So far on your stocking list, they are all peaceful and would work together. A few issues I see is that the honey gourami's can get a little aggressive if mating so I would stick to either a group of females or one male. (This was just true for me but I don't know generally if it's different) I think adding a second schooling fish might be overstocking your tank so I would just go with the ones you have before waiting and seeing if you could add anymore (perhaps a month or so). Just so you know the honeys will stick more towards the top of the tank because they have a labyrinth organ, much like bettas, and need air to breath. As for starting your tank, first you'll want to add the substrate and deco, then add like half as much water. If your going for a planted tank, then would be the time to plant them. Fill the tank all the way and you'll want to get the nitrogen cycle started (adding ammonia each day until the nitrites and ammonia are at 0 and the nitrates are there) and then you can start adding fish. I'm sorry if I'm giving a huge explanation I just wanted to cover everything in case you didn't know. I'd add the tetras and pleco first, then the honeys after a week once the tank is more established. (This is my personal opinion so I can't speak for everyone) Anyway, I hope this helps some!
That helped a tremendous amount!! I appreciate you taking the time to give me that answer I really really appreciate it. Thank you!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts