Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a couple barbs to try and get them to eat some of my Staghorn algae. I have been told rosey barbs will do this but I have Neon tretras and 2 Swordtails in the tank as well as 2 BN pleco.

Will or should they get along or will the barbs be too aggrassive? Is there another barb that will eat it that will get along with the others? Or should I stick with getting a couple black mollies because they should get along better?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Rosy barbs aren't aggressive at all. Many people keep assuming they are(thanks to the tiger barbs).:redmad: They should be fine with your fish. Your mollies will also do fine but make sure you do not keep mollies at lower pH. They tend to not last long with it. And vice-versa with the neons. I find neons to thrive better in lower pH but they will adapt at higher pH although they thrive best at lower pH.:)

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, pH stays right at 7.2 now that I don't inject CO2 anymore so it sounds like they should all be fine. The neons are happy at the higher pH, used to be around 6.6, and the BN act like they are throwing a party and chase each other around all the time.

I assume that most fish are comfortable between 6.8-7.2?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
fish_4_all said:
I assume that most fish are comfortable between 6.8-7.2?
Near neutral. Should be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
opposite of what blue said rosey barbs are aggressive. all barbs are. some more than others but all barbs are. there are always cases where this doesn't stand true but overall barbs are aggressive. it is possible to get barbs into a community tank just keep in mind they may take out some fish. more often newcomers to the tank. from what i've found tigers being the least and tinfoils being the most.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, roseys, way too big! 4 inches and I am putting these little guys in a 10 gallon and I need 4-6 of them, just won't work. Cherry's maybe but 1.5 inches is still a little large in groups of 6. Mollies aren't much better except for I can buy 2 of them. This is looking really bad as far as fish to control my staghorn.

If I use them as a temporary solution in the tank to eat the staghorn, how many of each would get along in a tank? Roseys, cherrys, tinfoils, black mollies etc.
Remember, this is a 10 gallon tank and that is all I have room for right now and setup.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
fish_4_all said:
If I use them as a temporary solution in the tank to eat the staghorn, how many of each would get along in a tank? Roseys, cherrys, tinfoils, black mollies etc.
Remember, this is a 10 gallon tank and that is all I have room for right now and setup.
Tinfoils in a 10 gallons tank?:question: Tinfoils can reach 12 inches or more and will trim down your plants.
What is your whole stocking list in the 10 gallons tank?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i would avoid putting any in that size tank. maybe clean the algae out manually. If there is too much to clean it manually and it comes back too fast there is probably another solution. how long are your lights on a day? Also, test your water quality and especially nitrate and phosphate. they feed algae.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
17 neons, 1 albino glowlight tetra, 2 swordtail and 2 BN pleco

Dosing is the same as my other tank and it has no algae problems at all. I know it is a CO2 problem, this is why I am looking for a fish thaty will control it because I am not ready to add CO2 again and I don't have Excel yet.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
fish_4_all said:
17 neons, 1 albino glowlight tetra, 2 swordtail and 2 BN pleco

Dosing is the same as my other tank and it has no algae problems at all. I know it is a CO2 problem, this is why I am looking for a fisht hatyw ill control it because I am not ready to add CO2 again and I don't have Excel yet.
I'd go with cherries then. A pair is fine as cherries don't shoal compared to other barbs. I find them suitable for keeping singly or in pairs.
You should have no problems with stocking as long as you can catch up with water changes and maintain good water quality.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That tank is already WAY OVERSTOCKED!!! I would never put more than 8 neons in a 10 gallon tank, and that if they are the only fish in there. Swordtails reach about 5 inches each, and grow fast, the glo lite tetra about 1 1/2 - 2 inches, and bristlenose plecos reach 5 -7 inches easy.
I was going to suggest, that instead of adding fish to eat the algae, maybe some cherry shrimp would be the better solution, but I'm not going to suggest those in a tank stocked that heavily.
I will also suggest, as was already mentioned, check nitrate levels!!
The thing about algae is that there are a zillion ways to get rid of it, but if it's a problem, then something is causing it. If you don't first find out what's causing it, you could do more harm than not in leaving it or treating it as you're wanting to, with critters that will eat it. Algae needs 2 things to grow... nutrient levels and light. In a 10 gallon tank with your population, an algae problem doesn't surprise me.
IF your nitrate levels are way up, it wouldn't be safe for more animals of any kind in this tank, and that also would mean that it is unsafe for the fish currently in it, unless the problem is corrected.
Can you please test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH, then post the exact results here? Please don't use strip tests, as they are very inaccurate and I consider them a huge waste of money and dangerous to rely on. If you don't have test kits, most LFS's will test your water for free. If you take it there, please ask them to write down EXACT results and the brand name and type of test kits they used (strip kits, liquid kits, dry tab kits)
With this information, and if you could tell us how often you are doing water exchanges, gravel vacs, how much water each time, how often you are changing any carbon in your filter, the type of filter you are using, and how often you feed your fish, we can help you much quicker to resolve your algae problem, and maybe help you to prevent the loss of your current fish. Also, how long has this tank been set up?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All tests were calibrated.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
pH - 7.2
NO3 - 10-15, checked twice every other week
PO4 - 1-2
AC20 HOB, never use carbon, not good for plants
Tank set up for 18 months
Water change weekly, 50-60%
Gravel vac as much as possible with every water change, very little mulm, water is still clear in bucket.
Feed fish once a day, 5 days a week a mixture of different food crushed for little fish and once a week I feed veggies or fruit of some kind.

I test bimonthly, nitrates bottom out by the end of the week regularly even with dosing 7ppm 3x a week. PO4 drops to almost unreadable but I dose low, haven't had a fish mortality in 8 months except for when I added tetras to tank from LFS and they were feeder size and in bad shape, lost 2 out 12.

Swordtails are swords, max of 2.5 inches, not sure which ones you mean get to 5 inches? Sorry if I confused there, they are temporary in there anyway until they are big enough to determine gender. Never had a problem with diseases nor stress except when I added CO2 for about 6 months and my male BN moped until I took it out 3 weeks ago.

Not sure if that helps except for the fact my nitrates bottom out often which has been shown to cause algae problems. I had green spot when I dropped my PO4 dosing down too low and it was bottoming out. Got the algae when I removed the CO2, never had any type of algae in the tank while it was in there.

Maybe adding fish is a bad idea, I do know I keep my tanks as clean as possible and provide the best I can for the fish. With so many plants, the neons play in and out of them and seem to be happy. Their color is better than I have ever seen as well as the BN and the swords. I know the tank exceeds the inches/gallon rule but the fish are happy otherwise I wouldn't have that many. One of the main reasons I switched all of my tanks to heavy planted was in order to support the fish and provide a healthier environment.

Nevermind about the swordtails, I looked them up and didn't even know they could be that big. I have never had one get above 2.5 inches and she is the largest one I have ever seen and one of the prettiest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts