Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the Banggai Cardinal will feed on small ornamental shrimps. Will they pursue pistol shrimp?
I am considering purchasing a trio, housing them by themselves in a 20 gallon. Should a pair form, I would move the singleton to a 100 gallon reef tank. If no pair forms, I would move all three into the 100.
Present fish load: 4 Pajama Cardinals, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 possum wrasse, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 shrimp goby, 1 yellow headed Jawfish, and 1 Firefish. 1.025, 77F, calcium 400, KDH=9, a small amount of various coral.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My friend has a breeding pair of bangais that never go for his pistol shrimp,my local pet store also has a number of bangais in with a pistol watchmen pair and I like it. Even if they tried to get the pistol I doubt they could.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
As far as Bangaiis go, I would personally get captive bred. Wild-caught tend to be more fragile and perish much easier, and may refuse live food when introduced into the aquarium.

I think that after you quarantine them, all three will end up in the 100. They are quite sociable among con-specifics and tend to form a sort of hierarchy within their group.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, all.
My Wife wants them in the 100.
Frank Marini sees to believe that if two pair up, they will slaughter all of their fellows in short order.
I would like to breed them, and we surely could not net Daddy with a mouthfull of babies from a 100 gallon reef tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts