Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Balloon molly fry

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mrmujtaba07 
#1 ·
I managed to save a couple of these last night since I saw my balloon molly give birth. They are black and orange mottled and so cute. Just wondering how long does it take them to look like balloon mollies?

#2 ·
That will depend on what size tank they're in, what the water quality is like as they grow, and how often and what kinds of food they are fed.
My molly fry are almost the size of adults at 13 - 15 wks. Mine get daily water changes, 3 - 4 times/day feedings, and are growing in fry tanks or the 90 gallon main tank. I keep about 10 - 15 fry in a 30 gallon tank, and run extra filtration. If waste gets to be too much, the nitrate levels rise and growth is stunted, internal damage is done, fish get sick, etc. In pristine conditions, look for the balloon belly to start showing about 6 - 8 wks.

#5 ·
A mystery snail is fine provided there is a heater in the tank (they need 76 - 80 degrees). I would say one but not two since they grow so big and that is only 10 gallons... and no live plants (the snails devour most live plants pretty quick). Also, keep the water really clean, as snails are sensitive to water quality and the worst smell in the world is a dead snail. 1 dead snail would be enough to foul the water, making it toxic for the fry.
Best of luck to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.