Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large Bala shark (sharky) about 6 in I haven’t had him for very long about 6 months and I have never kept them before I normally keep chiclids. Is twitching normal for them??
I check my parameters every other day and all readings are fine. (Liquid drops)
1000 litre tank
Co2 22mg/l
Weekly water change of 30-40%
he’s eating fine looks healthy he just twitches a lot. ??? I could be paranoid as recently had to treat for white spot (Brought 2 angelfish that brought it into my tank)
All of my other fish look fine I always keep an eye on the clown loaches as they tend to get poorly first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a large Bala shark (sharky) about 6 in I haven’t had him for very long about 6 months and I have never kept them before I normally keep chiclids. Is twitching normal for them??
I check my parameters every other day and all readings are fine. (Liquid drops)
1000 litre tank
Co2 22mg/l
Weekly water change of 30-40%
he’s eating fine looks healthy he just twitches a lot. ??? I could be paranoid as recently had to treat for white spot (Brought 2 angelfish that brought it into my tank)
All of my other fish look fine I always keep an eye on the clown loaches as they tend to get poorly first.
I forgot to mention I have very hard water where I live and I always have trouble lowering it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Hannah.
Your Bala would probably prefer soft to medium water, a PH of 6 to 8, DGH (general hardness) somewhere in the region of 10 to 13, and temperature of around 77 to 78 degrees. They're not hard water lovers. The wrong water parameters can cause health issues. They need very well filtered water and plenty of swimming space as they get quite large. Up to around 12". They also need to be in groups so a massive tank is best for them. 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply appreciate it unfortunately that’s my largest tank and to refill it as you probably know with distilled water would be very expensive 😳 my tank has two filters (good filters) So water is pretty much crystal clear everything else in the tank is absolutely fine except for the hardness of the water. I did test again today everything was perfect except for nitrate which sat at 40 (water change is in 2 days) what is their natural characteristics and behaviour has never kept one before I’ve only kept cichlids and loaches. 😃

1 - 12 of 12 Posts