Tropical Fish Keeping banner

bacteria bloom?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Oldman47 
#1 ·
this sudden white cloudiness in my cycled tank is a bacteria bloom, right?

I just lost one of two filters in my 30g and will buy/put in a new one on Monday, but this morning my water was super-cloudy. I've heard the main risk is bacteria leeching oxygen from the water, so I added an air-stone.

Anything else I should be worried about? Anything else I should do?

Thanks!

Jonathan

#2 ·
cloudiness happens late in the cycle, but since ure tank is already cycled, i think the one filter u still have is reestablishing itself due to the loss of the other.
continue doing weekly water changes.
Can also be that ure filter cant process all the water in the tank, this will lead directly to cloudiness from algae or baxteria blooms.

#3 ·
The bacterial bloom can consume oxygen from your water so the precaution of extra aeration is a good practice. It can also cause a buildup of ammonia so your filter will need to work harder. It could take a day or two for the filter to catch up with the new ammonia production rate but it should settle out. The usual cause of a bloom is a build up of organics in the tank. I would try a water change with a good gravel vacuuming. The water change will help some with the ammonia and the gravel vac may help reduce the source of the bloom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.