Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a BG for my 5ft which will eventually house some cichlids...It is in the tank waiting but i thought i'd catch you up to where it is now, for those interested anyway lol

Beginnings

Spray foam added

In tank to check size

1st layer of render

2nd layer of render

3rd layer of render

Detailed

Siliconed in ready for joins to be rendered

Now, a lesson learned, write down your oxide/render/water ratios. I had to do a new batch up and cover quite a bit of the BG as i couldnt get the colour to match to my satisfaction.

So joins are now done and it will be detailed tonight (and a new pic), then it needs to sit until the sealer comes back into stock.

So stay tuned for more updates

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and warm welcome
i look forward to seeing how this goes :-D

Reactions: Alasse

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
This is an awesome project! Thanks for sharing your progress with us - I can't WAIT to see the next step(s) and watch it go into a tank!!! Please keep us posted - and welcome to TFK! ^__^

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wow!
Excellent project thanks for posting. I love seeing pics of diy projects, even though I'm not talented enough to even attempt craftwork like that.
Hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I so wanna seal this, but i need help to carry it outside (fumes not good, for human, furkids, and finkids) so i need to wait til my hubby is home :(

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hope he won't be too long then….i really don't like waiting for people
when i want to do something.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Looks real good,it is all coming together rather nice.I agree about the patience in the hobby...and in life.
I look forward to seeing it wet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The tank is now outside, laying on its back. Monday i will start sealing, i don't think i will get the last coat on until Tues, as it has to have at least 4 hours between coats. But it on its way to being done....finally

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
good luck :-D

Reactions: Alasse

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 coat on.....2 more to go (4 hours drying in between coats). Loving how easy it is to apply, and how easy it is to remove overspray (did a test area lol, but tank is not fully cleaned up yet)

In tank looking from one end to the other

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
it's coming along nicely,looks very realistic i think. :-D

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Nice job. Where did you hide the heater and filter intakes?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

All running gear (filters/powerheads/heaters/etc go in behind the wall at the corner (both corners are equip ready so i can run 2 canisters if i want)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tank has now had all sealing coats done. YAY!!

Have just done the 1st coat of black on back and sides of tank, i can see the end in sight lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts