Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed there are two little tetras in my tank. They are about 1.5cm long. I'm surprised they survived to this size. They are hanging out by some bushy plants. So I guess they've hid out in there to grow up. My water quality is excellent in that tank, and they survived this long. So I'm unsure of whether to move them.

There is a school of 9 adults in there, but these are probably big enough not to eat now for them. But there is also a 3 inch eartheater and a 8 inch black acara in there. I've avoided fish less than 2 inches so far cause the acara has a big mouth. She hides most of the time though, and is not a good eater. So maybe these guys are ok. They are starting to come out and explore now though. So I'm nervous.

I'm concerned too about all the filter intakes I have in this tank sucking them up. I have an empty established 29 gallon tank with less strong current and filter intake danger. So I could move them there, but nitrates may be higher. I'm going to test now. I appreciate any advice on how to care for these guys.

Thanks! Tristan

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'd move them over with some of the filter media of the established tank. Instant cycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The 29 gallon was just recently vacated by the acara. So it is cycled, but I do have a little sponge filter that I run in the main tank to move over too. Nitrates will still be relatively higher cause I have a reactor full of denitrate keeping it at like 3ppm in the main tank.

I failed to catch the baby tetras the other day. They were actually fast. I managed to get them yesterday during a water change though. There was actually a third one that was smaller too. I'm still kind of amazed they survived. They were just out swimming around with the rest of the fish. The adult tetras are actually pretty aggressive to each other, and the eartheater is too. Plus the big acara was hanging out right by the tiny tetras, and just ignored them. Anyway, looks like I'll have a few more tetras to add back in there sometime soon. Does anyone know how long it will take them to get close to 2 inches?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts