Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

I've been following this post, and just feel so sorry for the fish! So, your 14 and perhaps have limited control on what you can buy and do for this fish, but something doesn't seem right. How can your tank look of such poor water quality when you said you did a 75% water change last Wednesday? I think you should stop worrying splitting hairs over what your fish has and just focus on water quality. It sounds like your fish won't survive long term, so make his last days/months of some quality, which it sounds like he hasn't had. Quality of life is the most important for animals over just how long you can keep him alive.

You shouldn't be worried about Ph, but should be concerned about ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. I feel for your little guy.

As a parent to a 12 year old, and a house full of animals, I believe adults with children need to take ultimate responsibility for pets. I'm guessing you got this fish, and your parents have said they'd do nothing, and it's your responsibility - but if you're taking family trips and no one is putting a house/pet sitter in charge, it's just a bad thing.

I'd tell you to rehome it, but no one would adopt it in the condition it's in. Do right by this poor creature, and just do frequent water changes, and when you get back from your July vacation, the poor thing will probably be dead. I'd imagine with an auto feeder, your putting lots of waste in the tank, creating lots of nitrates, and your fish is probably not eating anyways. I'm only saying this, because I think you really need a strong message, as it seems like you don't hear some of the advice you've been given thus far. No disrespect intended :)

Gwen
Well, it's happened before, the wounds/HITH, and the water quality, and it got fixed. Like we started doing water changes to fix it and it worked. I have to re-test this water though, our holiday I think is now reduced to 2 weeks. I went to America in May for 2/3 weeks and the condition was worse back then but when I got back, he was still alive, so, I would say he would be alive if I got back :p had him for 5 years so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
712 Posts
Very well spoken gwen couldn't have said it better,

Look I am a fellow young fish keeper. I am only 17 but I have always supported my fish on my own and I have always put pride into keeping my water clean. First your ammonia is WAAAY to high which tells me you don't have enough bio media in your tank to support the bio load of this fish. Get more bio media and a much larger filter. 3.0 is through the roof for ammonia!. One time my tank spiked to .25 and I was freaking out. No wonder the fish is sulking there is too much ammonia for this tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Just to repeat what has been said, throw the carbon and don't replace. Put more ceramic chips or sponges in to create more biological filtration.

Gwen
So, to put in the ceramic chips, do I empty the water out of the filter and put more in or replace them ?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You tell us... Is he getting better?
Well, he's certainly moving around a bit I would say. Doing a 20% water change tomorrow. Would that be ok? Also, I used Accu-Clear in the tank. Hopefully the cloudyness will be gone by tomorrow. He still isn't eating. He's watching the food fall on/around him but he won't eat. But, to be honest, I seriously would have never gotten my water tested if it weren't for you guys :) What do you think I should do now ?

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Ok OscarFishOwn... we are all trying to help but you seem to be all over the place.
It is upsetting to fellow fish owners to see a fish that could not possibly get to this condition overnight. And admittedly has had poor water conditions and no care while you were away.
Now. Carbon in a filter is not needed and yes take it out and throw it away if you have not already. It really only takes out medications from your water, so if you are treating this fish with medication, then the carbon is taking the meds out of the water and doing the opposite to what you want. When you are finished treating this fish/tank then you can put a new batch of carbon in to remove the meds, but take that out again after a week. It never stays in for a year.
Do daily smaller changes for now, matching your temperatures, and using de-chlorinator at all times. Read the amount required for the water you replacing.
Feed very sparingly as he likely will not eat it anyway.
NOW... a tank that has been set up for 5 years should have NITR-A-TES in it at about 20 ppm. A new cycling tank goes thru the ammonia cycle by the level of ammonia rising, converting to NITR-I-TES, and then to the NitrAtes. A well established tank will have NO Ammonia, NO NitrItes, and 20 ish NitriAtes. For you to have ammonia means that your filter is not working, is too small, or the good bacteria is way too low for the "output" or Poop load this fish produces.
AND UNTIL YOU KNOW THESE 3 NUMBERS THE ONLY WAY TO HELP THIS FISH IS TO DO DAILY WATER CHANGES, THAT MEANS MATCHING TEMPERATURES AND DE-CHLOR. ALL THE TIMEL!! min 2O% DAILY
GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok OscarFishOwn... we are all trying to help but you seem to be all over the place.
It is upsetting to fellow fish owners to see a fish that could not possibly get to this condition overnight. And admittedly has had poor water conditions and no care while you were away.
Now. Carbon in a filter is not needed and yes take it out and throw it away if you have not already. It really only takes out medications from your water, so if you are treating this fish with medication, then the carbon is taking the meds out of the water and doing the opposite to what you want. When you are finished treating this fish/tank then you can put a new batch of carbon in to remove the meds, but take that out again after a week. It never stays in for a year.
Do daily smaller changes for now, matching your temperatures, and using de-chlorinator at all times. Read the amount required for the water you replacing.
Feed very sparingly as he likely will not eat it anyway.
NOW... a tank that has been set up for 5 years should have NITR-A-TES in it at about 20 ppm. A new cycling tank goes thru the ammonia cycle by the level of ammonia rising, converting to NITR-I-TES, and then to the NitrAtes. A well established tank will have NO Ammonia, NO NitrItes, and 20 ish NitriAtes. For you to have ammonia means that your filter is not working, is too small, or the good bacteria is way too low for the "output" or Poop load this fish produces.
AND UNTIL YOU KNOW THESE 3 NUMBERS THE ONLY WAY TO HELP THIS FISH IS TO DO DAILY WATER CHANGES, THAT MEANS MATCHING TEMPERATURES AND DE-CHLOR. ALL THE TIMEL!! min 2O% DAILY
GOOD LUCK.
Ok, thank you soo much. Answered ALL of my questions. I asked the dude about nitrites, he said there are none but I would say he also tested for nitrates and it was normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
712 Posts
"normal" isn't a good enough answer something from someone at a lfs. "normal" could be 40ppm which isn't good at all. I would get an exact number. I agree every tank should have SOME nitrate in it. Most times your tap water has nitrate. I don't think it has to be at least 20ppm though. For example the water comes out of my tap with a nitrate level of 5ppm. My tank however never has nitrates higher than 10ppm because of good filtration and a good water change schedule. Big cichlids NEED good water quality to thrive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, I asked the guy and he said it was ok and everything. So what do I do now? I don't have any ceramic chips at home right now and my mum wont let me take the carbon out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
If your ammonia is 'low' and nitrates and nitrites are zero, then your tank isn't cycled. No wonder that poor fish is dying.

Do water changes of 30% daily. I would also add an airstone for higher oxygen levels.

Have your mom read this topic. There's solid evidence that carbon contributes to HIHD. If you can't up the water changes, or remove the carbon, or buy vitamins, then you might need to put it out of it's misery.If the fish is still eating, then buy some fish vitamins (liquid) with Phosphorus, Calcium, Vitamin C and Vitamin D. live food like earthworms might encourage him to eat. If the fish isn't eating, then you might want to euthanise it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok, he won't eat pellet food so I've started feeding him live food which he ate a teeny bit of. Also, would it be possible to put a new tiger Oscar about the same size as him in the fish tank now ? Or will I wait until all this is over ? And if I were to put another Oscar in, what type do you recommend ? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
ok now I'm questioning if you are for real!!!!! That has to be the craziest question you have asked yet! JMO!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
1) Daily or at least every other day water changes of 25%.
2) Get a test kit. You need to know numbers for the levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.
3) Feed small amounts of live food.
4) remove the carbon
5) clean the filter weekly. Do not rise the filter in tap water, must be done in old tank water, or new conditioned water.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you want to do something, then change 50% of the water today using a water conditioner. Tomorrow do 30% and do 30% no more than every other day. This should help. It should be relatively low cost and something you can do yourself with what you have today.

You said you had the Oscar for 5 years, when did you add the other 3 fish?

·
Registered
901 Posts
The following links will cover the bare basics of fish keeping for freshwater, and can help you understand the science behind it, and hopefully leading to a healthier and more properly stocked aquarium the next time around. I am sorry your Oscar is doing bad, and I hope that if/when it comes time for his death, that it is quick and painless. Good Luck in the future, and be sure to read these articles, keep asking questions and taking advice from members here at TFK, and check the profiles of Tropical Fish here on TFK to find out the required tank size, water parameters, and other needs for each particular species of freshwater fish. I hope this helps and the articles can help you learn to be a great fish keeper some day.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium/beginners-guide-freshwater-aquarium-cycle-38617/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium/basic-guide-freshwater-fish-stocking-38626/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/important-topics-11661/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-articles/bacteria-freshwater-aquarium-74891/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-articles/water-hardness-ph-freshwater-aquarium-73276/

·
Registered
196 Posts
20% is better than nothing.

IF you feed too much while away on vacation you will have another problem on your hands too.

There were not plants at his LFS. I would look around for plants and see if you can't get some. The 20% as often as you can will help with the water quality and is why I suggested it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
20% is better than nothing.

IF you feed too much while away on vacation you will have another problem on your hands too.

There were not plants at his LFS. I would look around for plants and see if you can't get some. The 20% as often as you can will help with the water quality and is why I suggested it.
Ok cool thanks. So when I'm away, I feed him nothing, correct ? Oscars can survive up to 2 weeks with no food right ?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The fish lived a happy life, no joke, this is the first time anything ever bad happened to him. My water was always good, no ammonia, nitrites and a good nitrates level, I got it tested, he lived a great life don't worry, I just haven't faced anything like this with my fish in my life and just take my word for it, he's never suffered at all before.
Posted via Mobile Device

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.