Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I am a new fish tank owner I have a 20 gal tank with 4 zebra danios in it with plants and a piece of drift wood.

I have had this tank cycling for about 6 (ish) weeks now.

I was taking water to Petsmart almost 3-4 times a week to get it tested until I could afford the API master kit. Finally got this Now I test at home. All my levels are good EXCEPT my nitrItes.

I CANT GET THEM TO GO DOWN AND I AM GIVING UP HOPE.

Petsmart said to do a 50% WC every time i went there and they tested my water. another local pet store said NEVER do w/c's when cycling.

So then tested again still at 5 for nitrites. I do not want to loose hope. I finally bought Prime did water changes ever hour like another site said and treated the tank with prime and this morning.... STILL AT 5.

PLEASE HELP I REALLY WANNA SEE THIS TANK SURVIVE. :crying::crying:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
At 6 weeks its still cycling.

What is your tap water showing, it may have high levels of nitrite and that's why your tank is having high levels - eventually your bacterial colony will fix this...

The store that said never do waterchanges with fish in it while cycling are in the wrong, since the water can often have high levels of toxins in it - killing any fish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a tank flush and my nitrites went down immediately. Then this am they are right back up again. What am I doing wrong? I am so flustered

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Agreed, water changes are necessary when cycling. Even in a fishless cycle, there are times at which you will do a change.

If you are showing nitrites that means one of two things - either your tank has nitrites in the water, or the test is not accurate.

First things first, lets make sure the test is accurate. Is it expired? Are you banging the crap out of the bottle before administering the drops? It’s gotta be shaken up REALLY well. Also, test some bottled water as a baseline 0 and then test your tap water. Please post those results (ammonia nitrite and nitrate). And for your tank water too.

Nitrate is one I’m particularly interested in - if nitrates are rising over time then your nitrite consuming bacteria is established.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts