Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is better to tackle the infestation of ramshorn snails - Assassin Snails or Loaches? Yoyo, clown, kuhli?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I would say the best way it go is:
- tank size?
- what your looking for?
- is your tank suitable for x species?
For a soft water tank thats over 6x2x2ft tank, a shoal of 6 clowns are the way to go. However of a smaller tank (around 4ft) yoyos would be a better choice & they have a similar personality to clowns. However before you go out to buy some fish, keep in mind any pre-existing fish.
- Will they get along?
- Will I be overstocked?
If you feel that adding more fish won't work, try getting some assassin snails.
I had kuhlis for 5 years with snails, they won't do anything (unless they are staved, which I don't suggest doing to any fish).
You may find it is best to "shut the tank down" and start again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi there! I recently had a MASSIVE infestation of bladder snails I think they were, I got 3 yoyo loaches and I'd say it was 2 weeks, or maybe 3 weeks and there was not a single snail in sight. Be careful with snail-eating aquatic creatures because whilst they eat the actual snail itself, they do not eat the shell which is sometimes missed during cleaning, which can eventually decompose and foul the water quality.... But in my opinion, yoyo loaches all the way! Although it does depend on what else is in the tank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts