Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a warning when planning were to put your aquarium decorations. This poor Severum is about 5yr old, and 8-9" long, he got stuck in a log overnight so his fellow tank mates thought he looks tasty. I've moved him into this hospital tank. Poor fella.
:cry:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Sorry to hear about your sev Daz, I hope he pulls through.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
awww daz, that's awful...poor fishie :oops:

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's happily munching his was through his new tankmates now. One Black Widow less to feed. You just can't win. :roll:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Be on the lookout for secondary infection with injuries such as those. It tends to happen fast, and while the original injury might not be lethal, an infection could be. I'd hate to see you lose him after all of that.
Dosing the quarantine tank with melafix should help to prevent it while he heals up.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have put a half dose of salt in at 5t/spoon per 2 gallons he seems happy enough.

·
Banned
786 Posts
dlil said:
I have put a half dose of salt in at 5t/spoon per 2 gallons he seems happy enough.
This is a very, very high salt concentration.

How is the cory doing?

My sterbai are very, very hardy fish but when I once instantaneously induced a salt concentration of 1 Tblspn/10G I observed that my sterbai "did not like it".

BTW a solitary cory is probably not a "happy fish"!

TR

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happier than he would on been down the pan, cos thats were he was heading before I rescued him. And sorry just read the salt thing back its a teaspoon.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Dosing salt 1 tsp per 2 gallons is quite high, and can be used for medicinal purposes, but only for what is called a "dip"... no longer than a couple of hrs. Beyond that you can cause a lot of damage to the fish's internal organs.
The safer med to use would be the Melafix, and longer term to treat the whole tank is much safer than the salt. Melafix will help promote healing and at teh same time help to fight off any infection that would set in.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did a 50% last night and added some melafix, hes perking up and back on the scran. :D

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Glad to hear he's doing better. Keep up the Melafix and he should heal up in no time. (dose according to the instructions on the bottle)
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
706 Posts
jones57742 said:
BTW a solitary cory is probably not a "happy fish"!

TR
I don't know about that. I bought a green cory and a panda cory. The panda cory didn't live very long. I didn't replace it, and still have the green cory, for over 5 years now. I recently bought an emerald green cory, thinking the two would hang out together. They don't.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He's on the mend now and back with his old so called chums. He just went straight back to the other Sev and have been inseperable ever since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts