Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that tangs usually don't get along. However, I've also heard that members of different genus' can get along, and that regal tangs are usually peaceful. Can a yellow tang and a regal tang get along in a 75 gallon tank with lots of rockwork? If not, which is the recommended one?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
honestly i feel 2 tangs in a 75 is pushing it regardless of species, however generally speaking you want tangs with different body shapes (hippo tang and yellow tang) or an odd number of similiar shaped ( 1 yellow tang or 3 yellow tangs however a 75 cannot house 3 )

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I agree with both answers. Certainly, long term, a Regal Tang (aka Blue Hippo) will out grow a 75 gallon, but provided you are keeping Tangs from different Genus, as a rule it works out fine. I would suggest adding both at the same time to be extra safe, especially in a smaller size tank. I would also avoid similar colors. For example, you would not want to keep a Yellow Tang and a Mimic Tang together.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Or would it be better to just get a yellow tang and a bristletooth tang?
The bristletooth, also commonly sold as the Tomini Tang, would be a risk in my opinion. The body shape of the Ctenochaetu genus is similar to the Zebrasoma genus. I think you would want a larger aquarium.

Have you considered a Kohl Tang?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts