Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lowered my aquarium heater from between 79-69 to 75-69 is this too cold for my espei rasboras, corys, and ghost shrimp. I heard that corys thrive better on cooler temps than warmer, just don't know if this is going to be too cold for my rasboras.

·
Registered
15 Posts
76 should be fine, but it depends on the type of corydoras you have. There are lots of them and their recommended temps have various ranges. I have albino corys and I keep them at 78, but they would do fine at 80 if they were in another tank I have. They could also be kept much cooler, like 70 degrees but I don't keep them at that temp because the other fish in the tank with them can't be that cold. Anyway, I wouldn't go colder than 76, and maybe up it to 78 depending on the type of cory you have. The temperature also plays a part in fungus growth and some other things. I'm not an expert but in my experience it's been best to keep the fish at 78-80. If you got the fish at a local pet shop they probably kept them at 78 since they are considered tropical fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also, you should think about getting a real thermometer if all you have is the sticker type. The stickers are too vague to know exactly what the temp is.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The vast majority of people in the hobby keep their fish in water that is at the top of the warm end of the spectrum. The reason for this is often the assumption their fish are "tropical". Many of the common fish in the hobby are sub tropical to temperate, which means that they experience a much wider temp fluctuation throughout the year, and even the day.

Most corys are cooler water fish, so you heard right. Lostpuppy is right though - there are a lot of difference species and a handful of them do like it on the warmer side. Espei rasboras preferred range does not go that low, but 75 will be fine.

Many people can just unplug their heaters for the summer - depending on where you are, that might be an option. That's how I found out I didn't need them at all - by unplugging for the summer.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

Reactions: likealostpuppy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have a sticker and a floating glass thermoter. I might end up unplugging my heater since my house is 76 at room temperature, considering I am using a 150 watt, I also just recently added a Honey Gourami. We get up to 100 degrees usually by July.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yeah you surely don't need a heater if that's the case! But in all honesty, outside temp is completely irrelevant if you live in a climate controlled house. I don't need heaters in the winter because I keep the air temp up in the low 70s. My chiuahuahs start shivering any colder than that :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah you surely don't need a heater if that's the case! But in all honesty, outside temp is completely irrelevant if you live in a climate controlled house. I don't need heaters in the winter because I keep the air temp up in the low 70s. My chiuahuahs start shivering any colder than that :)

I also have a chihuhua my temps are always set between 70-78, I was just worried when I saw my tank reach 78, its ideal for the espeis and the gourami but too high for the corys. I definetly want to avoid a fish fry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts