Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First things first, what are these? Fish fry...? This seems the most likely by looks, but most unlikely by the situation.
So I have a freshwater Tropical aquarium with a sump and 2.5ft x 4" refugium. Now I expected some Infusoria, copepods and the like. But I couldn't wrap my head around these guys, being that the tank is only a month or so old, obviously all the fish haven't been occupying it throughout, I've been filling it up as I go.

They're hanging vertically. A 3rd was hanging on the side of the glass (out of shot).
Clearly they have eyes and really, to me, look like a tiny fish fry. The wider shot with Limnobium is more for scale. They must be less than 5mm. But I have to say, none of my fish should have reproduced this early in my tank setup.

I have 9 Giant Danio, 6 Angelfish, 3 Geophagus Balzani(1 male & 2 female) and 3 Geophagus Rio *****(young and I think all males) and a singular L18 Baryancistrus.

Being that this is inside the refugium which intakes water from the sump overflow section via a small repurposed internal filter. It surprises me to even think there could be fish in there.

Water Liquid Violet Landscape Electric blue
Purple Arthropod Insect Plant Organism

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
192 Posts
Apologies. I’m having trouble with the picture. Are they on the glass or just chilling there?

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
64 Posts
Start by google image searching fry for each type of fish you have in the tank to see if it's a match , one of the females may have been pregnant when you took it home.

·
Registered
351 Posts
First things first, what are these? Fish fry...? This seems the most likely by looks, but most unlikely by the situation.
So I have a freshwater Tropical aquarium with a sump and 2.5ft x 4" refugium. Now I expected some Infusoria, copepods and the like. But I couldn't wrap my head around these guys, being that the tank is only a month or so old, obviously all the fish haven't been occupying it throughout, I've been filling it up as I go.

They're hanging vertically. A 3rd was hanging on the side of the glass (out of shot).
Clearly they have eyes and really, to me, look like a tiny fish fry. The wider shot with Limnobium is more for scale. They must be less than 5mm. But I have to say, none of my fish should have reproduced this early in my tank setup.

I have 9 Giant Danio, 6 Angelfish, 3 Geophagus Balzani(1 male & 2 female) and 3 Geophagus Rio *(young and I think all males) and a singular L18 Baryancistrus.

Being that this is inside the refugium which intakes water from the sump overflow section via a small repurposed internal filter. It surprises me to even think there could be fish in there.

View attachment 845095 View attachment 845096
Are you still wondering what these are or have you already figured it out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts