Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Are my plants on the verge of death?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sprmankalel 
#1 ·
My swords are suddenly looking very weird. Just yesterday (Sunday) I did a water change and had taken 2 of my 7 swords and pruned a heck of a lot of leaves off them. They start very subtly then quickly move to only shells of what they were. They used to thrive very well. 50 gallon...Flourite Dark substrate...6 Seachem Flourish tabs in substrate. Any advice?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not an expert but can you describe your lighting... ie bulb numbers and times on and off.
What HEIGHT is the tank? Do you have floating plants above blocking the lighting?

#3 ·
I'm not an expert but can you describe your lighting... ie bulb numbers and times on and off.
2 bulbs in my fixture. They are on for 9.5 hours a day. On at 3pm and off at 12:30am.

What HEIGHT is the tank? Do you have floating plants above blocking the lighting?
Height is 20 inches. No floating plants. Full image of tank before I noticed the issue with swords. This was after a water change of about 50% and adding some of the plants in the back as well as adding 6 flourish tabs. This picture was taken on January 19th.

Attachments

#5 ·
IMHO you had better get used to snails.

every tank (all planted) I have started had a large snail bloom the first few weeks/months. Then a year later there was only a few left.

I just do nothing.

But having snails IME is just part of having a planted tank.

my .02

#8 ·
snails are harmless, they'll eat excess food, they'll otherwise leave your plants alone (contrary to some opinions)

personally i think those who think snails are eating their plants are experiencing potassium deficiencies (also known to cause holes in leaves - but they look different from what your plants are going through)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.