Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I think a dragon goby would do fine with a " fresh" water moray eel, if you have a large enough tank to house both of them. They recommend at least a 120 gal for a moray eel, both fish are brackish.
I do not know of any African cichlids that live in brackish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive been reading up on all the african cichlids i have and they all can handle 8.0 ph so im really excited about that

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
They do like a high ph, but not brackish.
I have read that any aggressive fish, such as the African cichlids, should not be housed with the eel. The eel will take to hiding, same with the dragon goby, it has no real way of defending its self.

The cichlids may be a better choice anyway, a 120 gal brackish tank would not be cheap to maintain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
African cichlids

twister how are you a "super moderator" of a fish forum and you say you never heard of african cichlids living in brackish water? They ARE brackish water fish. They are from the SALT lakes of africa :hmm:

·
Registered
818 Posts
A moderator is not always the all knowing person we think they should be on a forum topic, they dont need to be, they are here for the website.............She is here to moderate the website for unwanted violations and and bad, nasty comments left by members...........Twistermom is a very knowledgable hobbyist...................

Do you know Lake Malawi contains very little sodium............Malawi is not considered a brackish lake, it is freshwater.......The Salts that lake malawi fish require are mineral salts and not your brackish required salts that are basically, mostly sodium...........

Before you bust somebody's chops, you should know the facts yourself.............

·
Registered
818 Posts
Now to the post...........I agree with Twistermom..........The africans are gonna be too aggressive for the goby i think.........The eel is gonna need a huge tank, so unless you have a big tank(100 plus), i wouldnt consider it.............

·
Registered
6 Posts
I happen to have 4 african tanks and all the africans I bought are brackish water and every pet store including generic ones like petland,petco etc. sells all africans in brackish water..that is the way they always are. I didn't say she didn't know anything about fish just stating that her information was incorrect. Lake Malawi, in its water chemistry (notably, its total ion concentration, or alkalinity, and its resulting electrical conductivity), is intermediate between Lakes Victoria and Tanganyika, and much more similar to Lake Victoria. Which are both brackish lakes,not to mention the fact that lake malawi or any other specific lake was neevr even mentioned. "African cichlids" was the only thing the guy said. Perhaps you should read carefully before putting your foot in your mouth. ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have been raising africans for 20 years..............Look at a bottle of rift lake salt additive and a salt additive for brackish water.........totally different in mineral content........Naturally i guessed he meant the "Lake" cichlids..............Maybe he did mean Pelvicachromis Taeniatus or maybe he meant the Steatocranus Casuarius ?

I have never heard of the 3 lakes referred to as brackish water............So do you test your salt content of your tanks?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I said, that I do not know of any African cichlids that live in brackish, and that is a true statement. I do not claim to be an expert, I just try to offer advice when I can. If you know of African Cichlids that will do well in brackish, with a Dragon Goby and a Moray Eel, please offer your information.
I doubt that krazygideon will be checking in, since this thread was started on 8/16/09, but at least others that are interested, will have the correct information.
I have never kept African Cichlids. The only brackish cichlids I have, are Orange Chromides, that are housed with a Dragon Goby.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
The African Rift Valley Lakes are freshwater; they are not brackish water. They all drain via rivers which are also freshwater (obviously). Example, Lake Tanganika, the largest and most alkaline of the rift valley lakes and the second deepest lake on the planet, is part of the Congo River basin and supplies the water to the Congo River via the Lukuga River. The Congo River is not brackish, it is absolutely completely freshwater containing no sodium salt.

There is a vast difference between "salt" as in brackish and sea water, and the "salts" that provide the alkalinity to the freshwater rift lakes.

Byron.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dragon gobies are very peaceful fish despite their look. They are shy and like moving food. I had one in a tank with tetras and mollies and they out-competed it for food. I was very upset when it started to freak out (swimming rapidly up and down the tank walls) and then died within an hour (water parms were normal). I had never seen it eat, as I had read it was a nocturnal feeder, so I dropped sinking pellets in after I fed flakes to the other fish and turned the lights off. This fish does better in its own tank with a fine sand substrate and caves, as it likes to dig and hide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, on the subject of dragon goby's and cichlids: in my experience it depends on the size of the goby and cichlids. If the goby is large enough the cichlids should leave it alone. On the subject of brackish or fresh water both are usually sold as fresh water fish and bread that way and will thrive and do well in a fresh water tank. If you already have a brackish tank and you want to introduce one of these breeds do it very slowly, even though a fish may live in brackish water in the wild if it was captive bread in fresh that's where it usually dose better.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Aj, this thread is from 2009 it is best that we don't respond to old threads but rather create new threads. As far as gobies and other brackish fish being bred in freshwater - it is highly unlikely and they do need brackish tanks, regardless of being sold in freshwater.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts