Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am wondering if I could get 2 of those cocanut shells they sell for hermit crabs to put in my 20 gallon tank to use as a cave for the peacock gudgons I plan on getting. They like small cave like areas and this is the only thing I could think of for them that looks natural. I read somewhere that some one uses short pieces of PVC pipe but like I said I am trying to stay with a natural look. Do you think I could maybe wrap java moss around the PVC pipes to make it look better if the cocanut shells will not work.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I've seen coconut shells in tanks but I have no idea how those shells would affect ph, if at all. I like your idea of using small sections of PVC, slightly buried, with java moss growing all over it. That would look really nice & natural. You could always use some sections of clay pots with java moss growing all over it. Do you get the idea that I like moss growing all over things?? :)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Yes I do see you like the Java moss idea. I thought about clay pots but I have not been able to find any around here I guess because the season is changeing. I have been to 2 Walmarts, a Home Depot, and a Lowes.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
No clay pots?? I have so many empty ones sitting outside my garden shed it's a shame you don't live closer. Our Home Depots, Lowes, etc. keep clay pots stocked year round. It's too bad yours don't.
What type of substrate are you going to have in this tank? I remember someone glueing the gravel substrate he was using in his tank to the PVC pipe and it was a great way to camouflage the ugly white of the PVC. Glue some subsrate to the pipe, cover it in moss, and you've got a mighty fine home for a peacock or two. :)

PS. If you did want clay pots another place to try would be an arts & crafts type store, such as Michael's or Joann's (not sure if you have those stores in NC). Alot of craft stores stock clay pots year round for decoration.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is small gravel. Thats a good idea to what kind of glue could I use?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks you guys.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes real cocanut shells. I looked at the dollar store and they only had painted ones.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
when i saw this first thing i thought of was tannins. dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that the shells have those tannins in them kinda like driftwood. i did however look into coconuts and aquariums and stumbled upon a guy that is trying to do something similar to you. here is the link hope this helps

forgot to tell ya scroll down about to the bottom and there are instructions on how this was done, look for the reply by a guy named rubydoo

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank Money. I did not even think about makeing my own, I was just going to go buy them already made. LOL Would be cheaper to make my own though.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Do you have a hobby lobby near you? They sell the clay pots. I have also bought some at Lowes in the outdoor plant area.
If you are still considering pvc, you can cover them in gravel using aquarium glue. You will want to let the glue cure for a few days before using.
Another idea, I have painted a few pvc pipes with Kyron Fusion paint to match the gravel, then covered with some moss. I like the looks of it better than the glued gravel. You will need to let the paint cure for 7 days.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Twistersmom. I do not have the store you mentioned I have been to all of the Lowes and Home Depots close by and they are all out. I guess because it is fall and they are changeing the products due to the season at least that is what one of the workers told me. I was doing some research and it says the Peacock Gudgons prefers small cave like areas so I think the PVC pipe maybe better so I think I will try that route.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
UUUUGGGGGGG!!! be careful of anything from petco!!! often if they get a parasite or illness in there tank they either move the animals so fast that they dont know or they dont fully treat them properly... not to mention they utilize a totally connected filtration system so if one tank has ick they all do and then you need to treat your tank at home and home you didn't kill the ones you already have..... sorry for the rant but be careful.. treatment of stuff from petco has cost me well over 50 not including the original cost of the fish

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you have a hobby lobby near you? They sell the clay pots. I have also bought some at Lowes in the outdoor plant area.
If you are still considering pvc, you can cover them in gravel using aquarium glue. You will want to let the glue cure for a few days before using.
Another idea, I have painted a few pvc pipes with Kyron Fusion paint to match the gravel, then covered with some moss. I like the looks of it better than the glued gravel. You will need to let the paint cure for 7 days.
The paint didn't effect your water? I've that about using the paint that makes a rocky look on some stuff but didnt know if it would hurt my fish.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The paint didn't effect your water? I've that about using the paint that makes a rocky look on some stuff but didnt know if it would hurt my fish.
I read up on it, before using it. I read from enough people that used it, with no ill effects, so I was not afraid to try it myself. I have had the painted pvc in my tank for around 6 months now, and all is well.
The paint can says if you decide to add another coat, to wait 7 days for the paint to cure. So, I would wait 7 days, before placing it in the tank. I also gave the pvc a good rinse and soak before adding it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts