Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'm coming to the point where I will have to replace my cartridge with a new one and i was wondering i can just rinse it out and use it once more to save money. Not sure if the carbon in the cartridge will work afterwards?
Any thoughts?
Cheers :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
To be honest, you don't need carbon in your tank unless you are taking out medications from a treatment. It is a waste of money. It has been noted that carbon takes out important nutrients in our tanks.

Save your money for fish!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so now excluding the carbon, would it be good to just rinse them out after? In other words will all the bad stuff be easily rinsed out and able to put back in? :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well ~ I am not an expert on filters, but you don't want to kill your bio filter by completely rinsing all the good stuff away.

What I do when I clean out my 2 110's, I rinse the sponges under tap water, and rinse out the canister, but I don't squeeze all my filters to death! And I do one filter at a time on different weeks, so as not to kill my bio filter.

Reactions: HMlairy

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your carbon will last maybe 2 weeks at the most, after that its just acting as a bio filter. The cartridges are so expenssive for HOB filters. When you have used them keep hold of the black plastic (back) and remove the blue filter floss. Once you have 2 of these you can put whatever media you want inside, wrap the 2 plastic back in filter floss/quilt batting and use a couple of hair bands/rubber bands to keep the "shell" closed.

Its a way cheaper alternative than to keep buying cartridges.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Also, be sure to rinse them in used tank water rather rather than tap water. The chlorine in tap water will harm your beneficial bacteria.

Reactions: HMlairy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts