Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, right now I'm just spewing out theories here, meaning that you don't have to take it seriously, but recently, some eggs laid by my nerite snails have been hatching, basically a few once or twice a month, and it's been bugging me on how they are hatching since it's a tropical freshwater tank w/o any salt whatsoever, and I know nerite eggs require some salt in order to hatch.
This is where the theory kicks in, but I've been using Aquasafe to help make the tap water better for the fish, mainly because the local water has a bunch of chlorine in it and Aquasafe is the only thing I can find that can neutralize it. Anyway, the only time I see a newly hatched baby snail is sometime after I add the stuff, and when I look at the ingredients, the top one is sodium hydroxymethane, and from what I can remember, almost anything with sodium in it is usually a type of salt. So chances are, even though that Aquasafe is good for keeping the water safe, but at the same time, gives what the eggs need to start hatching.
And like I said, I know that nerite eggs need salt in order to hatch, but does the info that provide anything specific about the type of salt needed, like the kind to turn freshwater into brackish, or do they usually just say salt meaning it doesn't matter what kind?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Hmmmm...interesting theory but, i dont know. I use Aquasafe and i have lots of nerite eggs in multiple tanks but never had any hatch. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It could be your water. What's your ph, gh and kh? Do you have hard water with a high ph?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ph levels are at neutral, mainly with the help of the live plants I have in there. The rest, the tests aren't available in my area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts