Tropical Fish Keeping banner

aquarium salt and corys

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
My corys have got red base on the fins at the moment which has come from my tetras which i can't get rid of. My cory got a cut the other week and now has caught it from the water. It seems to have spread to my other large corys. I have never used aquarium salt but just ordered some to hopefully get rid of it completly this time and Im hoping the salt with the fin rot medication will hopefully get rid of it this time. But I've been looking online and read mixed reviews about using salt with corys. Im only using for medication only not all the time. Is this ok? Will the corys die?

If it is safe to use with corys for illness reasons how much per litre or gallon should i use?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Fin rot wouldn't present itself as redness - are you sure there's rot going on? Can you post a picture and list your water parameters for ammonia, ph, nitrItes, nitrAte?

Corys are pretty salt sensitive so I wouldn't use it personally. Can you isolate the corys? I'd do very frequent water changes and watch for signs of improvement.

#4 ·
I agree, we really need a good photo to ID this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.