Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fluval just wasn't cutting it. I've had to do 50% water changes every week for the last month. I tested the tap water and it was okay. I have been told that a Fluval alone is not enough so I ordered a filter that is supposedly specifically for saltwater tanks.

I ordered a ProClear Pro 150 w/ prefilter online. It has a built in venturi protien skimmer, which I needed because the SeaClone skimmer never worked properly - never collected a drop of sludge. Does anyone know anything about the filter I bought? I probably should have checked here first :p

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I have never seen them actually in use by anyone. Sorry can't help you on that one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I might buy the same filter, It seems to be a good choice. But I would prefer to have someone tell as if is a good filter or not. Im planning to use it in a 90 gallon tank.
Thanks

·
Banned
750 Posts
It's just an overflow with a sump, so you sould definitely be better.

EDIT: It looks like it comes with bioballs. I understand using bioballs cause issues with nitrates.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
It has for me in the past. You could save money by just building a sump out of a 20gal tank. :D

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
most people use a 20gal aquarium or I have heard about people using rubber maid tubs. Here are pics of my sump:

I know its not as fancy as the ones you can buy but it saves a lot of money and does the same thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those look like nice sumps, guys. I think creating one is a little beyond my ability at this point. :p

crazie.eddie said:
It's just an overflow with a sump, so you sould definitely be better.

EDIT: It looks like it comes with bioballs. I understand using bioballs cause issues with nitrates.
Is that true? Do bioballs cause issues with nitrates?

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Is that true? Do bioballs cause issues with nitrates?
I heard they did, but I do not know. I believe you can build a sump yourself. I thought the samething till I put my mind to it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It's hard to say anything without you listing your tank size, demands (reef or fish), feeding schedule. It's just a shot in the dark. A wet/dry will help and be better than a canister for a reef as when a cansiter becomes full the wastes will leech back in to the tank. Fill the space with live rock rubble instead of bioballs. You'll be better off. I have a really nice 1 month old overflow, 22"long 12" wide 17" tall wet/dry and Eheim 1260 return pump for sale cheap, PM please.

Edit: that it seems you already bought yours. Forgot that after reading so many posts telling you to build one AFTER you already state that you have one coming. The proclear series are nice for smaller tanks. Write a review when you get it.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
A wet/dry will help and be better than a canister for a reef as when a cansiter becomes full the wastes will leech back in to the tank.
I use a magnum 350 with the fabric filter and it does not leech thewastes back into the tank. When it gets clogged it starts to blow bubbles into the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts