Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i got a 10 gallon tank for free awhile back and i havent been using ti for anything really its just sitting there. i got my sisters hood that she wasnt using since she has a snake and i have her filter too. all i need now is a heater and im ready to start adding plants and fish and stuff. recently i helped my dad replumb his house and he gave me 50 dollars (YAY). so what im asking is (allowing some substrate and live and fake plant and decor buying plus a heater) what do you think i should get for that 10 gallon thats in my price range of course. ANY suggestions welcome because i want this thing started quick and i want to start cycling soon (like in the next week or so).

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
betta..... In a 10 gallon tank the fins will be very outstretched, the betta will be happy, low bio-load so you dont need much filtration, doesnt cost much if you get the ones that are more common, possible to try to add pygmy or dwarf cories as long as tehre is another home for them if things get messy, doesnt cost much to manage, i dont see whats wrong with them. Another choice would be dwarf puffers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You might look at tetras and shrimp. Java moss would work well for planting on a budget and small tank. In lieu of tetras you might want to consider guppies. I like cories as well.

Another option is to do a beta and a lobster/crayfish or a cory.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok lets mark out a couple of things i think i made it a little broad. i already have:
a betta
a few cories
some tetras
2 ghost shrimp
and i dont like the look and ferocity of dwarf puffers
maybe something good for communitys.
keep the ideas coming and ill think of something and maybe go check out my lfs's fish soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have always liked bumble bee gobys, they are brackish though. But I have my 10g with tetras and corys with shrimp. You dont have *that* many possibilities a 10 gallon unfournately. I would go with corys or tetras since they are smaller and there bioload is VERY small, thus fitting more into the tank :) If you get black skirts, you cant go with too many as they get to be 3", my friend saw some 4".

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i thought there might be a limit. i already have black skirt tetras. maybe i can get rope fish? have you ever seen them there reeallly eel like and there black and they have little eyes and they burrow

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oo thats a good idea! how about tiger barbs can i fit a small group in there with some live plants and good hidins spots?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think tiger barbs get too big (three inches), I'd look for a fish that gets 1-1.5 inches max (such as dwarf rasboras). A school of 6-8 fish of that size in a planted tank should be fine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
...I've recently become quite fond of the White Cloud Mountain Minnows...

...betcha they'd look stunning against the right background...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes! And you don't need a heater either...they're coldwater... :D

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i dunno, i wouldnt go for normal community fish, take advantage of this and make it different from everything that you have. How about a vivarium? Saltwater fishless reef?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im going to make it a fish tanks since i already had it planned and i just made a vivarium for 2 firebelly toads. im thinking that if i buy 3 tiger barbs in a small shoal (because ive found in experience that you dont really need that big of a shoal, like your supposed to have 6 cories? i have 4 and they love each others company)then ill get a little more powerful filter, maybe a biowheel for a 20 gallon. i was sleeping in math class today and i had a dream about it i could see the back corners of the tank densly planted with live plants and a natural rock substrate. also in the middle in the back there was an awesome driftwood piece with holes they swam through and stuff. i want to make it look like that.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
blueblue48 said:
im going to make it a fish tanks since i already had it planned and i just made a vivarium for 2 firebelly toads. im thinking that if i buy 3 tiger barbs in a small shoal (because ive found in experience that you dont really need that big of a shoal, like your supposed to have 6 cories? i have 4 and they love each others company)then ill get a little more powerful filter, maybe a biowheel for a 20 gallon. i was sleeping in math class today and i had a dream about it i could see the back corners of the tank densly planted with live plants and a natural rock substrate. also in the middle in the back there was an awesome driftwood piece with holes they swam through and stuff. i want to make it look like that.
why not get 6, thats a better school since the agression will be even out rather than focused on 1 fish, with a 20 gallon bio wheel filter it should work out fine. Every fish is different, you cant just say since cories dont need to be in schools, no schooling fish needs to be.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
leifthebunny said:
Can't ignore the dreams. :) I just wish my LFS sold individual pieces of driftwood. :(
ooo a couple of my lfs' ( i live in a decently big city with about 5 or 6 fish stores) sell drift wood with a rock base to keep them held down, there kind of expensive but they look alot better and wont get duggin up by big fish.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
musho3210 said:
blueblue48 said:
why not get 6, thats a better school since the agression will be even out rather than focused on 1 fish, with a 20 gallon bio wheel filter it should work out fine. Every fish is different, you cant just say since cories dont need to be in schools, no schooling fish needs to be.
thats most likely right. ok bigger plan worked out ill get the bio-wheel and such, then ill buy 4 tiger barbs and let them live for awhile to see if there being aggressive, if there not ill just leave them but if they are ill buy 2 more to totaly 6. i have a question, can snails get along with tiger barbs? i really like snails for cleaning purposes and im wonder if i can put 1 or 2 small mystery snails in there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i believe mystery snails are more like pond snails that breed like crazy and get out and get all over the place. Also no ropefish, far too big for a 10 gallon.

6 barbs should be fine with good filtration, they are so pretty =)

I wish my LFS sold just freaking bogwood! All they sell is in the tanks, and I dont want to take the stuff out of their tanks and put it in mine, even though I trust them a lot. I wish Aaron, my fish guy, was there to sell me dry bogwood :x

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol yeah i looked at rope and saw there too big. but id be willing to risk breeding to have a clean looking tank! i have on gold mystery snail in my 2.5 gallon and hes really cool. plus if they bred i could give some of the baby snails away, possibly sell them to fish stores, and take some to put in my 55 30 and other 10. but which color to pick? my lfs has ivory blue and gold, and a different lfs has ramshorn snails. are those any harder or easier to keep? do they get bigger or smaller then mystery snails?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts