Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
lioness501 said:
my other tank is 28 gals! but this 1 is ug filter so i cant do that
i cycled my first ever tank with danios and it worked a treat
What about using some of the gravel from your cycled tank to help it along? That's what I do to start a new tank, works like a charm since that and the filter is where the good bacteria are.

For the record, I also cycled with danios and golden white clouds. I kept up the water changes. I also swear by BioSpira, which has mixed reviews but has worked for me-never had any ammonia problem during cycling. I am happy to report I didn't have one fatality or disease during cycling. Still have the 4 originals in my community tank.

· Registered
490 Posts
I still say use a combo of gravel and add BioSpira. Each tank I've cycled using the gravel/BioSpira combo has literally been ammonia free overnight, and the nitrites started to rise the following day. I know BioSpira has it's lovers and haters though. The one thing I like about it is that it doesn't add chemicals" to the water like water conditioners that remove ammonia (I use a standard dechlorinator, but nothing else). When I was doing my first tank I used a similar ammonia remover. It lowered the ammonia reading, but took forever to get the cycle going properly and I kept having to add chemicals (in lioness501's case if gravel is added there shouldn't be a cycling delay). I decided to start over with that first tank using BioSpira, and the tank literally cycled from start to finish in a week's time. So anyway that is my experience and why I use a combo method of gravel (established bacteria) and BioSpira (neutralizes ammonia and starts nitrites immediately with no chemicals). I think the most important thing though if you are going to use BioSpira is to make sure you are buying it from a quality store, so you know it has been handled properly.

Let us know what you did and how it turned out!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.