Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently bought a new 240L fish tank, I think that's about 63 US gallons. It's 19" tall, which I think is just about okay for angel fish.

Ideally I want to stock it with a single golden nugget pleco, and then a mixture of angel fish and a small group of silver dollar's.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on if people will think this will work out well, the species will get along and if anyone has some stocking number suggestions.

My current tank is a planted community Rio 180 with smaller fish, so this is my first step into much bigger fish so I'm really keen to hear some thoughts and suggestions as the last thing I want is to get a bunch of big fish that are going to fight.

As I understand silver dollars are mostly peaceful but very greedy, will angel fish be able to keep up with their activity levels when feeding?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I would at most get rid of the idea of having a mixture of angels, as when they hit spawning stage they turn into little devils, and you end up with a warzone. At that stage, the only way to calm things down is to move pairs out and hope the remaining pair doesn't cause too much trouble... So in saying that, I'd stick with one. (2 can mean 2 males, and speaking from experience, 2 males will co-exist happily in a 60 or so gallon tank. )

As for the silver dollars, they fine, but I personally think they aren't suited to anything less than a 90, ideall 125g. They just so active, and require a shoal that is cruel to keep them in anything small long term. Not to mention, if your thinking of going planted in the future - which can happen, happens to many - they will view it as a all you can eat buffet!

Angels are just as greedy at feeding time, and have no idea what self control is.... They will keep on eating, regardless if they can take anymore in. (I've seen angels that look like they ate a golf ball and look slightly less like an angel, but look more like a pearlscale goldfish....)

Reactions: RabMoghal

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I agree on the angels and silver dollars. Yeah the tank is a nice size, but it's still a little tank - albeit a big little tank.

With regards to fish over eating - I run a fishing boat and am always absolutely amazed at how full some of these fish are, AND THEY ARE STILL EATING! I mean sometimes when I'm taking the hook out I can see partially swallowed fish in its throat - because the fish is so stuffed there's no room. Worst is when those fish do a head shake and regurgitate - partially digested fish and crabs fly all over the place. I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut when handling the fish - had a piece of squid fly into my mouth one time. Pretty disgusting.....

6 "a"s in a row

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts