Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all my years of fish keeping I have never seen this in my tank. I wasn't even trying because I know that there are a number of specifics that need to be met to breed and I wasn't interested in it. I had been watching and noticed one of my angels being a little stand-offish. Figured this was because I skipped feeding yesterday. They seem a little testy when I skip a day. I thought nothing of it. So about 15 minutes ago I went to do a water change and I saw that there was a white substance on one of my sword leaves. I thought some new fungus was going to put me through some new level of :evil:. Then I noticed they were eggs. Now I don't know if they're fertilized but if there's any change of getting some fry I think it would be a nice thing to try. Though I have no idea what I would do with them. What do I do? I am going to hold off on my WC for now. IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
If the eggs turn white they're not fertilized. Otherwise in a few days the will become wigglers and the parents will guard them. Most likely they will get eaten by the other fish. Mine would get to the free swimming stage and then get eaten by the other fish. I never tried removing them and hatching myself. I just let nature take its course.

You can still do a water change just syphon from the opposite end of the tank so the parents don't get disturbed.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I looked today. Some of the eggs have turned white and a majority of them are still kind of opaque.

Cher is still guarding them fiercely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
Yeah, I usually get some that turn white. The parents will eat the bad eggs. Keep us posted. Hopefully you'll see wigglers in a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can totally tell who the mother is. Have an idea who the father is but all 3 of the others angels are totally chased away from the egg site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like all the eggs have turned white. So I guess no babies. :-(

Will they eat/remove them or do I have to do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
My angels always took care of them by eating them but if they're still there after a day or two you can remove them.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They've been eaten. Hopefully next time she'll let someone fertilize them.

Is it possible for a female to lay eggs with no male around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
Yes, it happens all the time. I have a female severum that lays eggs all the time. And I had a firemouth who also laid eggs when she was by herself in QT.

How many angels do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
Oh, i just reread the post and it looks like you have four total? Good possibility you have at least one male but only time will tell.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Females generally get along better than males, and a F/F pair is not uncommon in the absence of a male. With 4 fish you have an 87.5% chance of having a pair, 12.5% chance they are all female.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like those odds. Though I didn't set out wanting to breed. I just put them in and let them do their thing. If they do that's a bonus.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top